Best set-up for Subaru

By mozeman
Nov 24, 2012

Hey all, lately I have started to ditch my tent on recent climbing trips and start to sleep in the back of my car. Its a subaru outback. I am kind of new to sleeping in a smaller car. I used to have a full size van (back when gas was sub $2) and had a nice set up in the back of that but I was wondering how everyone else sets up their cars. Not trucks

By M Sprague
From New England
Nov 24, 2012

I sleep plenty of times in the front seat of my VW GTI with a pack under my feet, so being able to lay in the back of an Outback, even in a semi fetal position if you are tall, seems pretty luxurious to me.

My set up if it is raining and by my self: gear and bicycle or crash pad crammed in the back with one rear seat folded flat..various sundries in the remaining space of the front and passenger seats, me twisted up in the steering wheel and stick shift.

This is a great set up if you want to insure an alpine start, even if you just pulled in at 2AM. If you have a Suburu you will have to fill it with more gear though, or a dog.

By mozeman
Nov 24, 2012

How do you do windos during rainy night?

in the van it was easy because of the push-out windows allowed ventilation and no rain to come in.

By Jeremy Hand
slopey

Window visors ftw

By Tico
Nov 24, 2012

Cut a piece of ACX to about 2'x6', and lay it in the back. Prop the low end with 2-3 gas cartridges. A flat sleeping platform makes a difference. I spend about 100 nights a year on this sort of rig. It worked well in a 96 outback.

By Mattberr
From utah
uintas

I have an outback sport and If I take out the backseat (easy just unbolt it). I can fit a full size blow up pad and my dog. Its pretty damn comfy.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

I think I remember a thread on here a while ago that showed a platform that someone had built for their Subaru wagon... On my I phone so i'm not going to search for it, but I am sure that you could find it if you look. Good Luck!

By mozeman

NC Rock Climber wrote:

I tried, I know the exact one you are talking about and cant find it for the life of me.

By Peter Stokes
From Them Thar Hills
Wall Street, Moab, UT

I've modified several cars (all smaller than an Outback), but since I'm over 6 feet I pretty much have to remove the front passenger seat and build some kind of platform in that space to stretch out fully. If I want that seat during my trip it gets some kind of quick release setup, like wingnuts/bolts. I've also removed just the passenger seatback and gotten about the right height for a bridge setup between the front and rear seats- depends on the car. It's not as nice as sleeping in the back, but the radio(s) are close by... sorry I don't have any photos.

I think the Subaru bed you mentioned is here: www.mountainproject.com/v/car-camping-bed-/107430770

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO

Jeremy Hand wrote:
Window visors ftw

I don't think they work in Subis because there is no frame around the window.

By ParkerKempf
From atlanta, GA
sweet belay on El Cap Spire, Salathe Wall El Capitan

i have a 2003 outback and am 6'3. i spend 4-6 months out of the year on the road climbing and i have boiled it down to this:
I took out the back seats/bench and put in a flip wood panel that is in line with the floor of the rear space of the car. not only did i buy myself storage where the seats went, but i also can slide the passenger seat forward and have about 7' of space to lay down in. i also got a roofbox for less used items/extra storage. there are 3 bins lining one side of the improved backseat/trunk area and an asana crashpad on the other side that is about 6'5 long unfolded (i believe a "sir-lands-alot" model)
thus i always have a bed built, and i can get to all my gear easily under the wood panel, food/camping gear/clothes are in the bins....its effin' schweeeeeet!

By wankel7
From Indiana
Nov 24, 2012

I have a Ford Focus Wagon and I can remove the bench seat which gives me a little extra room when the seats are folded flat. Maybe you can do the same in the Outback?

By jbrown2
From Bend, Oregon
Nov 24, 2012

We recently bought an inflatable twin mattress from Walmart. It has 8 inches of loft and is really comfy. The air pump plugs into a cigaret lighter and fills the thing in a few minutes. When you wake up you just unscrew the cap, the bed deflates and you have all your storage space back.

dog in Prius on mattress
dog in Prius on mattress

By mozeman
Nov 25, 2012

I am hoping to leave the seats in the car because often I will offer rides in order to split gas. The current set up in the outback is to just fold down one of the back seats and put my sleeping pad down. Since i am a shorter guy this works out well but I was hoping to figure out a better option so that i dont have to keep moving stuff around to put move the seat up and down. Unfortuanately it seems like im just gonna have to permanently have the seat down if i dont want to remove it entirely

By Wade J.
From Boulder, CO
Nov 25, 2012
winter aid climbing

I'm sure you can pickup a coffin (one of those roof pods) or CL pretty cheap. Stash all your gear in there and you wont have to shuffle it around.