Best routes in Boulder area for a date w/ non-climber
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By germsauce
Hippos kill people
She's athletic, owns shoes, but not exactly a climber. Not enough time post work for a flatiron, so what's a simple 1-3 pitch 5.6-5.9 with some cozy belays, good sun and a good view to uncork a bottle of vino at the top?

was thinking:
Wrinkles in time in Upper Dream,
the 5.6 crack at Elephant Buttress
wind-tower &/or Calypso/reggae?
or just hand her some TCU's/RP's and throw her on China Doll?

By snicho
From Boulder, CO
me on Binou's Crack in Indian Creek
There's a 5.6 on the west side of castle rock. It has a bolted anchor for the first pitch and then you can just find a cruiser way to the top. Probably also 5.6. I've taken a couple of people to do their first lead there. Great beginner route!

By CJC
Oct 16, 2012
we can't accurately determine that without a pic

also what 5.6 crack on elephant? never heard of it.

By TheBirdman
From Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 16, 2012
Just skip the pleasantries and get down to business. Women like a straightforward guy.

nitroclubboulder.com

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Chillin' at City of Rocks
I agree with birdman........skip climbing..... And don't forget glasses, chocolate and strawberries.

By germsauce
Hippos kill people
My date rack consists of a nice malbec, stawberries, chocolate, daisy chain and belay glasses.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan
Princess Mia wrote:

and seconded. Most girls that I've met who don't already climb, like talking about going climbing more than actually going climbing. But maybe that's a Boulder thing.

I should stop trying to pick up girls at the coffee shop just because they have a locking carabiner on their osprey pack. :o)

By Morgan Patterson
Topo - Cliffs in Green
Scott McMahon wrote:

Nope we get it here in CT. . . my gf does it ALL the time.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Chillin' at City of Rocks
Yeah the Osprey pack is a dead give away that they will never become climbers.....

By Sorden
From inside the Bubble, Colorado
~Here to party~
+1 for the pic!

Breezy on Wind Tower, nothing from your list, here's why:

I hear you that you want to get up more than one pitch. Usually a nice top rope situation would be ideal; she isn't an experience lead belayer, she probably has little experience rappelling. Avoid rappelling at all costs! Avoid Calypso, probably the most sandbagged 5.6 in Eldo. Reggae? C'mon man, you're trying to impress her, not scare the shit out of her. Avoid Wind Ridge, the classic start is tricky 5.8 and I've had to bail off the first pitch more than once because the nOOb with me couldn't pull the flake start (the easy start isn't great rock IMHO.) So, Breezy is a fun 5.4 with great gear she won't have to futz with and no awkward moves save perhaps off the deck. It's a walk-off and the top of P2 is a great place to watch the sunset (hint, hint.) Start small, work your way up, no epics, no tears, no lost gear. Build her confidence and she will establish trust you can exploit later. If you want superhero status, hike up the descent and stash the bottle of wine the day before. I have no idea where you'd stash it but it would be impressive to pull off. Good luck!

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan
Sorden wrote:
Build her confidence and she will establish trust you can exploit later.

This is probably the FUNNIEST thing I've heard all week.

By rangerdrew
From Loveland
Evans Aprons
^ Agreed. I admit I laughed heartily at that statement.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan
JLP wrote:
Those shoes are probably from the last dork who tried to convert her into their climbing partner. I say you're toast.

HAHA!!! Oh how I LIKE where this thread is headed!!! +10 ^^^^

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Oct 16, 2012
Let's see, she's not really a climber, but because she owns some shoes you're thinking about taking her up something as involved as a 3 pitch 5.9?

Dude, you're so not getting laid.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Chillin' at City of Rocks
I'm telling you: don't climb, get the goodies and a blanket and find a private place somewhere, where your amorous attempts will not be interrupted by other noobs thrashing on the same 5.6......

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course
You might be confusing East Face Slab or whatever it is on The Dome for the 5.6 crack on Elephant, there is the 5.7 standard route, but if I didn't climb and a date took me on that I would be pissed.

Did SHE ask YOU to go climbing? A friend of mine, a woman, took a guy she was seeing (not a climber) up to lumpy a few months ago, they didn't date much longer after that... forcing people into perceived life or death situations doesn't end up as romantic as a lot of folks think it will.

The Riviera has some straight forward climbs you could toprope, keep it simple...

By Andy Novak
From Golden, Co
Living the High Life.
germ, we all know Alf won't mind what route you take him on. He just wants to climb.

By rangerdrew
From Loveland
Evans Aprons
wine + rappelling multiple pitches with new (climber) girl = bad

Crush Whale's Tale or something.
It's easy and has a decent view.

I vote some short, easy, TR and single pitch stuff. You've got to ease her into multipitch, like this perhaps: TR, short sport lead, long sport lead, short gear lead, and then super easy multipitch ala 1st or 3rd Flatiron. Practice rappelling too. ...and short approaches to start. Racing daylight wouldn't be so good.

My GF is a non-climber, but I eased her into every aspect of it. Her first "multipitch" was not so good. Very steep, but short approach with a semi-hanging belay atop 1 pitch and she was done. It was a 5.3 but I hadn't been there so the approach and belay station were a surprise. We rapped off. She still climbs with me though and marriage is not so far off either. Don't scare her man.

By TheBirdman
From Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 16, 2012

3:12. Use that line and her panties will fly off.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Oct 16, 2012
Let's put it this way, when I met my wife, she climbed (we met thru a mutual climbing partner) but our first date still wasn't climbing related. First we had a cas lunch. That went well so we had dinner. Within a week we pretty much knew where things were going and we still didn't climb together for maybe another month.

If you like her, date her. If you want to climb, go climbing. Give it some time to see whether you can combine those activities.

By Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Oct 16, 2012
I would listen to the only lady giving advice on this forum. In all honesty... climbers think they are much cooler than they actually are in reality. Climbing is a pretty stupid and often scary endevor to the non-climber. If your intent is to get closer to this girl, the last thing you want to do is scare her. Trust = naked girl in your room. Scared = fully clothed girl leaving pissed. Why do you think musicians see so much action?

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
West Overhang
Why is there an automatic assumption that germsauce's date is going to be scared shitless? It's not 1950 and it is Boulder. Even before I started climbing I would have been far more impressed with someone that took me climbing instead of the usual wine and dine thing. Maybe she's OK with exposure.

What about roping up for the downclimb off the First Flatiron? Great views, plenty of holds and exposure, and it sets the stage to talk about doing one of the longer routes if it goes well. Agree you may want to skip or cut back on the alcohol. You could also give her a backup prusik for the rap if you have any concerns.

By jcm537
From Broomfield, Co.
Oct 16, 2012
The easy route on elephant buttress is the tree route (5.5). Do fandango on the first flatiron if you have time. Great views and super easy.

By wendy weiss
Oct 16, 2012
You're going to do this after work? It gets dark and cold pretty early now. Cold is bad. Very bad. How 'bout the gym?

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Oct 17, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks
fossana wrote:
Maybe she's OK with exposure.

Yeah really, maybe she wants some REAL exposure! Now can you provide that?

By Jason N.