Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Best problems in Bishop

By Wil Sterner
From Topanga, California
Dec 11, 2012

Hey all! I was just wondering what everyone's favorite problems are in bishop, if you could just name one? I know there are probably hundreds but this way we could maybe get only the best of the best!

By JoeValley
Dec 11, 2012

Boom:www.mountainproject.com/scripts/Classics.php?id=106064825

By zach ruswick
Dec 11, 2012
Hot n'Bothered 5.10b on the Long Wall at Summersville Lake. Photo by Doug DiJulio

My favorite problem in Bishop is definitely Seven Spanish Angels AKA The Ruckus. The movement is awesome and the unique holds make it a really fun problem. The crux for me was the last move before the top out, and it's a fun, exciting, dynamic move to a bomber jug. Another one worth mentioning is Strength in Numbers, a cool V5 at the Sad Boulders, which has cool moves and a heady top out you would not want to blow.

By Rob Gordon
From Hollywood, CA
Dec 11, 2012
Tough Mantle Problem.  Haven't sent yet...

I think Zach has hit the nail on the head for midrange stuff. If I was a beast, Xavier's Roof and Fall Guy look pretty amazing.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Dec 11, 2012

It would be easier to answer your question if we knew how hard you boulder. Having said that, if you can choke out V5, Strength in Numbers is a great problem, but the area is littered with great problems. Personally, I think half of the fun of each place (the Milks, the Happies, the Sads, etc.) is exploring the place and climbing what looks good. Good time guaranteed no matter what.

By bergbryce
From South Lake Tahoe, CA
Dec 11, 2012

Start with the ones that don't have piles of human excrement underneath them.

By Matt Haig
From California
Dec 11, 2012

I second Seven Spanish Angels. Its a wonderful problem

By Wil Sterner
From Topanga, California
Dec 12, 2012

Fat Dad wrote:

I didn't want to make it about difficulty, just wanted to know what other people liked.

By Bryan G
From San Jose
Dec 12, 2012
Puffy jackets and Happy Boulders

I have a couple favorites.

Mister Witty at the Happies (easy V6). A cool rock-over move to start. Then small but incut finger pockets lead up the vertical wall to a crux throw for the lip.

and

Grovel Roof at the Buttermilks (hard V3). A jump start to a sloper jug, then reach over the roof to slopers and make a super awkward mantel. I haven't gotten this one yet.

Both problems are safe with good landings, but feel a little committing with cruxes at the top.

Seven Spanish Angels looks awesome. I will have to get on that one next time I'm there.

By justin dubois
From Estes Park
Dec 12, 2012
Lost Cities 5.12a,Black Canyon,CO

its too hot
&
theres too many injuns

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Dec 13, 2012

Wil Sterner wrote:

Totally fine. Like I said though, some of the best times I've had out there is just wandering around and climbing what looked good, wondering if there's another awesome problem just uphill or on the other side of the boulder--discovering the place.

Plus, and this may not be an issue to you, but the problems that everyone suggests as their favorites are probably going to be the ones with most people on them. I think it's fun to meet new people, give and receive encouragement, a spot, but I dislike the scene with a dozen people standing preening around with their dogs, boom boxes, etc.

By Wil Sterner
From Topanga, California
Dec 13, 2012

@Fat Dad, thanks for the insight. I agree I don't need a peanut gallery either.. That's how I like to climb too, not knowing what I'm getting on and then coming back here and finding out I onsighted 12a or a v8 is always fun too. Not that I climb that strong. I'm just a noob to bishop And thought I could get some idea of where to start. Maybe also we will all figure out what the best liked problem is, so far it looks like Strength in Numbers

By Eric Whitbeck
Dec 13, 2012

high plains drifter

By MorganH
Dec 13, 2012

Jedi Mind Tricks
Suspended in Silence
Seven Spanish Angels
Strength in Numbers
Lydia's Mouth
High Plains Drifter
Iron Man Traverse
The Fang

I was just there for the first time last weekend. It was awesome!

By germsauce
Dec 13, 2012
Hippos kill people

Picturesque, fun climbing, high enough for a touch of spice... Jedi Mind Tricks.

Whiskey Beer and Spliff hits for breakfast was fun too,

Strength in Numbers, Hulk and Serengetti are all Classic (SIN the best of them). 7 Spanish Angels for sure (beware the evening gangbang session, or if you feed off the energy, then go for it!)

Suspended is really cool and well, what everyone else said.

By david quatro
Dec 13, 2012

The two that I have pictures of next to my garage wall are Soulslinger and Stained Glass. They are that good.

Soulslinger