Best place to climb in colorado for thanksgiving?

By Chalk Norris
From Brighton, CO
Nov 6, 2012

what is the best place to go climb in colorado over thanksgiving? I have been to Shelf road and am over the crowds and minimal camping....does anyone have any suggestions? I have been to Penitente but looking for some cracks. I live in brighton so bocan, flagstaff, eldo, lyons, golden, ccc, are all out of the question cause I climb there on a regular. Any suggestions would be awesome. I was thinking Moab(not colorado, I know) but my friends are all scared of the drive. Escalante was my other option. Any feedback would be rad.
thanks,
brandon

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 6, 2012
Andrew Gram

Indian Creek is the glaringly obvious answer. The drive isn't bad - 7 hours or so from Denver.

By Ian Stewart
Nov 6, 2012

Andrew Gram wrote:

I've also been wondering where to go for thanksgiving, and IC was the first thing that jumped out at me, especially since I've never been there yet. I fear that I'm probably far from the only person with this thought, however...any comments on how much of a zoo it will be/how difficult it could be to find camp spots? (I have a camper van, so any flat place to park is fine...but I'm sure tent camping beta could help other people, too).

By tsuji
From Boulder, CO
Nov 6, 2012
On Peak 11,300 in the Ruth

Ian Stewart wrote:

I've been in IC the past three Thanksgivings and I've always been able to get a spot in the B-jacks.

By Chalk Norris
From Brighton, CO
Nov 6, 2012

Thanks guys....I love the creek but am taking a few friends that are not that strong of climbers. Also, I have tripples and doubles of cams but not sure if that will be enough for IC. well we might hit escalante, moab and the creek and just try them all. thanks again for the beta.

By Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Nov 6, 2012

Chalk Norris wrote:
taking a few friends that are not that strong of climbers. .

mountainproject.com/v/kane-springs-canyon/105716793

By john strand
From southern colo
Nov 6, 2012

Unaweep, unless the weather craps. All grades of stuff and Escalante is close by

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Nov 6, 2012
Bocan

Chalk Norris wrote:

huh? It's a great drive, AND you can ski on the way back. It's only like 6 hours, tell your friends to buck up.

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Nov 6, 2012
Imaginate

IC is going to be a zoo.

By MikeS
From Boulder, CO
Nov 6, 2012

The glaringly obvious answer would actually be Turkey Rocks.
Sunny, cracky, lots of options in the area, etc.

By Chalk Norris
From Brighton, CO
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks everyone...I told my friends to grow a pair and decided that we will hit up Escalante, Moab, and the Creek. this should be fun and interesting. Hopefully the weather holds out. Probably going to check the Ice cream parlor in kane springs as well. should be pretty sweet. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to post them. thanks,
chalk norris

By patrick sullivan
From silverthorne,
Nov 8, 2012

Turkey rock

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Nov 9, 2012
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.

patrick sullivan wrote:
Turkey rock

Good call, that face is WAAARM. How long until the road gets closed for the winter for snow typically? Or do they.

By J Q
Nov 9, 2012
Me again!

IC, no crowds to speak of and you can top rope that shit all day in total peace and seclusion.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Nov 9, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

i would say bocan, flagstaff, eldo, lyons, golden, ccc, shelf road or penitente. oh wait.

Ever been to south platte? As Patrick said, Turkey Rock... it just makes sense.