Best place for a solo climber to find partners in Europe in March

By Nick Weinberg
From Essex, NY
Feb 9, 2013
I have March 15-22 off and am looking to climb somewhere internationally. Basically looking for someplace relatively easy to get to since I only have limited time, with high quality climbing (sport or trad), in a nice setting, where I can link up with climbing partners. Does it exist?? Thanks.

By johnthethird
Feb 9, 2013
El chorro, spain. Stay at the olive branch, meet tons of people. More climbing than you need for a week.

By Nick Weinberg
From Essex, NY
Feb 9, 2013
I saw there are trad routes as well. For 5 days of climbing do you receommend bringing a trad rack? Is it worth the weight??

By climbnplay
Feb 12, 2013
i;m more into trad than sport, but if i go to france or spain for just a week, i would definitely NOT bring any trad gear (and I live in Europe) - maybe a set of stoppers for places like Verdon where some routes can be really run-out and could use a few gear placements.

Siurana is also a great place for that time period; I may be visiting for a week or more around Easter holiday.

By johnthethird
Feb 12, 2013
I wouldnt bother taking a rack to el chorro

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Feb 12, 2013
El Chorro
The only reason to take a rack to El Chorro is to do Africa, which is documented on this site. Otherwise, maybe take a set if stoppers just in case. Zeppelin, which is also on this site, is all bolted except for one pitch. Maybe 2 cams in the fingerish size would help but are not essential if you can place stoppers well.

Those routes can be great in March but many many routes on Frontales are south facing and maybe too hot that time of year. Also, most are single pitch sport so don't expect to just rock up and find partners for the longer stuff.

Olive Branch is awesome for partners though - I actually do find people to do the long routes with so it's possible.. If you have a car there are plenty of shady areas to climb at and there will be people that want to catch a ride and climb with you. But if not, you may be walking to hot areas and begging for a ride to the shady ones. Either way you win't be alone.

Honestly that time of year is prime season for the Grit in the UK. It's hard to recommend coming here because the dry window, while it happens, is hard to predict. It may not look inspiring online, but it's some of the best climbing you'll do anywhere. You'd need to make some plans in advance for partners but it would be easy on UKC. I doubt you'll go down that road but get in touch if you do.

I don't know much about Ceuse but if you can get some info, it looks amazing and March would be ideal as far as temps go. Loads of places in France.

Go on UKClimbing. You'll probably find someone who is interested in the same things as you. I know there are always people interested in organizing tips to Tenerife because of the consistant weather. I'll be there the first week in March if you end up there we'll climb a day or two.