Best Light Climbing Jacket

By Preston Sparks
From Augusta, GA
Feb 16, 2013
Im looking to get a light jacket to climb in. I used to climb in this thing called the "wind shirt" and I think patagonia made it but I can find it anymore. Im looking for something light that will block the wind. Anyone have anything they really like using?

Preston

By Allen Corneau
From Houston, TX
Feb 16, 2013
My vote goes to the ber-classic Marmot DriClime Windshirt...

marmot.com/products/driclime_w...

By john strand
From southern colo
Feb 16, 2013
+1 there and also a DriClime vest very good

By Adam Catalano
From Albany, New York
Feb 16, 2013
me
Amen to the marmot. Great in every season. Best piece of clothing I ever purchased

By Preston Sparks
From Augusta, GA
Feb 16, 2013
thanks!

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
Feb 17, 2013
OR Helium, also water proof.,

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Feb 17, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
The Marmot Driclime Windshirt. Like said before the best piece of clothing that I have purchased. I have had one version or another of it for more then 20 years. It works well as outerwear, Midlayer and underwear. i don't think there is a more versatile piece of clothing out there.
Dallen

By Paul-B
Feb 19, 2013
Flakes of Wrath
Is the marmot more of a stretchy softshell or a microfiber shell?

By john strand
From southern colo
Feb 19, 2013
Yoo may want to check out Wild Things as well.. they seem to have come around quite a bit.
last I saw thermo-lite jackets for $85

i have used this stuff forever

By Brandon Gottung
From Moab, UT
Feb 20, 2013
В Екатеринбурге
Check out the Rab Boreas.

us.rab.uk.com/products/mens-cl...

I've worn mine for months on multipitch routes. Paired with a merino hoody - the perfect action suit for rock. Just don't wear it on the approach, otherwise it'll get all stinky.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Feb 20, 2013
Bocan
Paul-B wrote:
Is the marmot more of a stretchy softshell or a microfiber shell?

It's a lined windshirt. Very light outer shell as in an ember would burn through it. Comes in a few different variations like pockets, no pockets etc.

But it's probably one of the most versitile pieces out there that can be used as a layer or stand alone. Too bad there isn't a hooded version.

The marmot ion or patagucci houdini are good windshirts as well.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Feb 20, 2013
Epic free solo with a pack on
I am wearing the Marmot Driclime Windshirt right now, actually. It is a surprisingly versatile piece given how god damn simple it is. It is a thin polyester shell (not really water resistant), attached to a fleece liner (polyester as well.) The two layers trap a decent amount of air, which warms you up quite a bit. Say it is 10 degrees outside, and you're getting a little chilly in your down jacket...pop this puppy on underneath and it quells all those minor chills! Say it's 45 degrees outside and you want just a lil something to protect your skin from the slight breeze coming off the cliff...just fire this piece on and Blamo...you're perfectly regulated and content.

My only gripe with the jacket is its lack of water resistance, but that is not what it is designed for, so that's alright.

I've used it for everything from a midlayer between a shell skiing, spring, summer, fall rock climbing, layer between a shell ice climbing, drinking inside with the heat off...etc.

Get it!

By Gargano
From Oakland, CA
Feb 20, 2013
Patagonia Houdini. 4 oz.

Cuts the wind. Works well in light rain. Hood fits over a helmet and it clips to the harness.

bit.ly/15w7iOD

By Brian Abram
From Columbia, SC
Feb 20, 2013
Brian Abram, leading pitch 2 of Dinkus Dog on the South Side of Looking Glass.  Kyle Sox is belaying.
Scott McMahon wrote:
Too bad there isn't a hooded version.

The Marmot Ether is a Driclime with a hood and a lighter weight face fabric.

I agree that the Driclime is hard to beat for price and versatility. With nothing under it, it's my go to top for subfreezing trail running. Mine is years old, torn, stained, and ratty looking, but I wear it more than any other top.

If Preston wants an unlined windshirt, there are quite a few options. The most well-reviewed would probably be the Patagonia Houdini or maybe the Arc'teryx Squamish. A more rain resistant but less breathable option would be the Feathered Friends Jackorack