Best (June) Sport Cragging

Oct 26, 2013
Crown Prince Abdullah .12d

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Oct 27, 2013

Halley13 wrote:
If you had 2-4 weeks in June to climb and were mostly interested in single pitch 5.12-5.13 sport routes, where would you go?? Where are weather conditions most likely to be cooperative?? I'm graduating from grad school and want to take a little celebratory climbing vacation before settling into the full time work force... advice on best location??

Ten Sleep. Just make sure you pack some heat if you get up in the middle of the night. Wild Iris is another option, but Ten Sleep is many times better IMO.

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Oct 27, 2013

Maple and/or Rifle for steep.

Wyoming is great if you like vert pockets.

By Blake Cash
Dec 21, 2013

David Sahalie wrote:
Maple and/or Rifle for steep. Wyoming is great if you like vert pockets.

Clearly you haven't seen much of WY.

By JoeValley
Dec 21, 2013

How about Rumney?

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Dec 21, 2013
Sure, I can belay

Ceuse
Frankenjura

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
Dec 21, 2013
ducking ropes at Copper

+1 for Rifle. Not many other places around with that many 5.12 5.13 sport routes, plus you are very close(a few hours) to the Black if you get bored in Rifle. Not to mention Colorado Weather is actually somewhat predictable that time of year. Not crazy hot yet and if its going to rain its only gonna be a couple hours in the afternoon and probably be dry by 5 for some nice evening sends.

By S. Neoh
Dec 23, 2013

Conditions at Rumney won't be ideal in June. There will be some good days but you will more likely experience seepage and bugs. Best month for Rumney is October.

By DoNstamos
From SLC/Detroit/Dragons
Dec 23, 2013
legend

Get your send on at lime kiln canyon. New book comes out in march. There's gotta be at least 75 5.12-14 s that are 250' long each. No crowds, pretty much an oasis. Virgin river gorge is right up the road. Def perfect June weather. I've been there in late may and gotten snowed on.

By dnoB ekiM
Dec 23, 2013
Wonderstuff

DoNstamos wrote:

^^^^ -1 on that!

June will NOT be sending weather at either of these crags. At least not 99% of the time. Average hi/low in Mesquite for June is 102/64. That is not sending weather...even if the Grail is ~1500' higher and in the shade. And the VRG...will be even hotter.

By Mike Hasse
From Lebanon, NH
Dec 23, 2013
Descending the knife edge ridge on Aiguille du Midi, Sept. 2012

Folks keeping talking about crappy conditions at Rumney in June, I guess that's nice to keep the crowds down...

By James Sweeney
Dec 23, 2013

Halley,

What was your field of study in school?

By thecornyman
From Oakland, CA
Dec 23, 2013
me on illusion dweller

I'm not saying it's the best but, I've climbed at Smith, OR the last two junes and it was great.

By Halley13
From Salt Lake City, UT
Dec 28, 2013
Crown Prince Abdullah .12d

It would certainly appear that I was already considering all the best places, so I appreciate the votes of agreement. Decisions, decisions... Thanks all! :)

By Halley13
From Salt Lake City, UT
Dec 28, 2013
Crown Prince Abdullah .12d

James Sweeney wrote:
Halley, What was your field of study in school?

I'll be graduating in Physical Therapy.

By trad4eva
Jan 31, 2014

Tensleep and Lander crags

By Winston O'Boogie
From Dixon, CA
Jan 31, 2014

Europe if you have the money, Spain, Sardinia, endless amazing sport climbing and great people and food and something a little different, spoil yourself after grad school. If not I'd go Wyoming. Really amazing weather in Wyoming in June, cold mornings, warm afternoons, chance of a thunderstorm and fairly chilly nights, and really long days, take a good bag and enjoy the hell out of it.

By the schmuck
From Albuquerque, NM
Jan 31, 2014

Well, I guess Rumney is okay in June if you like climbing in a wet sauna. Rifle I'd say if the winter wasn't too wet.

By Brent Kertzman
From Black Hills, SD
Jan 31, 2014

The Black Hills including Spearfish Canyon, Victoria Canyon, Mt. Rushmore and the Iron Mt. areas. We do have afternoon thunder storms here but the temperatures are mild and there isn't any waiting in line. Greater than 1500 routes graded between 5.8 and 5.14 with tons of 5.10 - 5.12 and virtually no waiting in line. All of the areas are within an hour of each other with both granite and limestone rock. Tensleep and Wild Iris are four and six hours away.

By kiff