Best guide pants around
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By charlie c
Apr 2, 2013

I'm looking to buy some new guide pants for the season. what are the best one on the market for the different disciplines rock ice and mountain Thanks for the help.

By Hmann2
the fridge leavenworth

Get some Carrhart double front pants and cut them 3/4 length. Best rock pants around, especially if you gusset the crotch.

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Apr 2, 2013

3/4 length carharts are the shit. You even get a nice little hula-skirt effect around your ankles from the fraying cotton.

Bomber as shit, not too too hot and you can see you feet. I didn't even think about gusseting the crotch, how did you do that?

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

I'd guess you could seam rip the crotch and then sew in a diamond shaped piece of the ankle that you cut off. Make sure you hem the legs after you shorten them.

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Apr 2, 2013

i would assume all these guys are joking, but sadly I think that they are not.

I've been impressed with the RAB Dihedral pant. Though Googling it, they seem hard to find...

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Indian Creek Climbing

definitely a fan of Rab products
the more stretch the better

climbinglife.com/gear-reviews/1683-rab-sawtooth-pants

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO

Patagonia
Hands down. But knott cheap.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.

OR Ferrosi pants. Uninsulated soft shell pants. Great all year around actually, they're durable but thinner than Carharts or jeans, etc plus they breathe AND they're one of the cheapest (not cheap...least expensive) soft shell pants out there.

By coppolillo
Apr 2, 2013

Rab Sawtooth! Great DWR (I'm skiing in Revelstoke this week with 'em!), trim enough fit for pure rock, little drawcord at the leg hem if you wanna manpri them, light, compressible....

us.rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/soft-shell/p-sawtooth-p>>>

good luck!

Rob C

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Apr 2, 2013

"There is probably another company that makes similar canvas pants that come pre-gussetted. Arborist pants. duluth trading co might as well. use google."

I actually have a pair of Arborwear pants. Like higher quality carhartts. They cost enough that I don't wear them climbing, usually. They are my trail building pants.

By michaeltarne
Apr 2, 2013

Marmot Scree pants are great too.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

3/4= another word for man-pris

just ask your mom and her friends to donate their old capri pants

By Andy Hansen
From Longmont, Colorado
Intruder, 5.11+. Zion National Park. Photo: Matt Kuehl

Patagonia Simple Guide Pant. Not expensive. Super durable and versatile.

By Paul-B
Flakes of Wrath

Marmot scree pants are awesome. Also been digging my First Ascent guide pants, great for rock, probably wouldn't be great for winter activities though.

By akafaultline
Apr 2, 2013

I'd vote for the arcteryx gamma lt. Pretty dang durable and wind resistant. The ferrossi is great and very breathable but not very wind or water resistant. I've ice climbed in te gammas and done Tetons in them-wouldn't ice climb in the Ferrosi.

Don't get me wrong. Ferrosi is a great pant and I also own the shorts-but they are very light weight and not wind breaking at all.

By JonBates
From cody, wy
Apr 2, 2013

what exactly is a "guide" pant?

By Hmann2
the fridge leavenworth

Thats exactly what I did just rip the seam and use the bottom of the pants to add to the crotch. Durable, flexible, and no need to roll em up!

By Dan Allard
From West Chester, PA
Day at Summersville Lake

For rock - Another one for Arborwear here.. have a couple pairs of these and they've outlasted the carhartts by a long shot - and the gusset cut is great. You can find em on sale some times - STP etc. Mountain Khakis Alpine Utility pants are pretty solid too but pretty expensive.

For Ice - I've got a pair of Wild Things Mountain Guide pants that are probably some of the best made gear I've ever had, and made in America. Love those guys and gals from NH! :) Definitely check them out.

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Apr 3, 2013
CoR

Just because you put on guide pants doesn't make you a guide.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Apr 3, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.

Patagucci for sure

By Maurice Chaunders
Apr 3, 2013
Colombian Crack

How has no one mention mountain khakis? I can't tell the difference between them and carharts and the crotch is already gussetted. They are spendy but triple stitched and burly. The doubled hand pockets are more handy than I thought they'd be.

By Gunkiemike
Apr 4, 2013

JonBates wrote:
what exactly is a "guide" pant?

By Tank
Apr 4, 2013

rging wrote:
Just because you put on guide pants doesn't make you a guide.

But wouldn't any pair of pants worn by a guide become guide pants?

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Apr 4, 2013

Guide pants are pants so cool, that you can be like

'Hey baby, I'm like a guide, I have guide pants.'

By Michael C
From New Jersey
Apr 4, 2013
Mt Minsi, PA

Patagonia is my go-to brand. Everything I ever got from them has been well-made, functional, and durable. They're not cheap, but I've bought and discarded many pairs of climbing pants and my Patagonia stuff gets the most use, and is still holding up better than everything else.

By Scott O
From California
Apr 4, 2013
Batman Pinnacle

Paul-B wrote:

After several years of abuse and multiple big walls, I finally ripped the ass out of my Scree pants. I'm definitely getting another pair.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>