Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Best Guide Book for AZ

By David Bullock
From Phoenix, AZ
Oct 21, 2013

I just moved back home to Phoenix and am in need of a guide book for climbing in AZ. What are my best choices?

Thanks!!!!

By Marcy
From Tempe/Tuscon, AZ
Oct 21, 2013
the tornado

That really depends what type of climbing you are looking for. Locally, Marty karibins fold out guides are good for queen creek, though there's a lot of new stuff in lower devil's canyon the the refuge that you can find here on MP. If your looking at the Stronghold, check out Geir.com for toofast's topos...they are fantastic. There's a new book out for Sedona that is also very nice.

I'm sure others will chime in soon with more suggestions. Welcome back to the area :).

Edit to add...Manny Rangel recently put out a new book for Isolation canyon that is very good. There is so much to climb here, have fun exploring!

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 21, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

As far as state wide, nothing really stands out in particular although they exist. I usually just buy a guide every time I visit a new area, plus look em online. But I'm the type where beta makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I just think of it as an investment into future trips.
It's also worth mentioning that many guides, out of print and not, are available at local libraries (though often only for in branch use).
Hope this helps.
-Mackley

By KevinD
From Scottsdale, AZ
Oct 22, 2013

Phoenix Rock II by Opland covers the Phoenix area. Karabins $5 guides for individual areas. There is a Falcon guidebook that covers the classics in many AZ areas, otherwise there are guidebooks for many of the individual areas like Sedona, Jacks canyon, Queen creek, Mt. Lemmon, etc. Check out Isolation Canyon too near Payson/Pine AZ

By DesertRat
Oct 22, 2013

Depends on the area, but I usually just download the areas through Mountain Project to my Droid. Many times the information is just as good or better than the guidebooks.

I have a number of guidebooks as well, I guess it just depends on how long I am in an area for.

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Oct 22, 2013

RIP Toofast, and thanks for all the topos.