Best Free Climbs in the West?*

By mattp
Nov 5, 2012

• ok, actually looking for the best mid-longish sub 5.12 climbs between western colorado, utah, and nevada basically. Also, being climbable in mid november is essential. Thanks much

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Nov 5, 2012
Me scaring years off my mom's life

Define "mid-longish". 5 pitches? 7 pitches? Sounds like you want to go to Red Rocks.

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Nov 5, 2012
Slope on a rope

You looking for sport or trad?

If trad, for me its
mountainproject.com/v/the-headache/105718186

If sport is what your looking for, then for me its,
mountainproject.com/v/12-route-aka-unknown/105717895

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Nov 5, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks

Levitation 29, Red Rock Canyon

By mattp
Nov 5, 2012

At least 3 pitches,longer is better, red rocks is sounding like the place to go I was just kind of wondering how the classics in this range there stacked up against the classics in say zion and the rest of the desert. Definitely trad, although the sport/trad mix of red rocks sounds nice.

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Nov 5, 2012
Me scaring years off my mom's life

RR is nice because you've got so many options. I'm not very familiar with Zion, but I can only think of one legit sport multi there (mountainproject.com/v/made-to-be-broken/105967843). RR - your options are limitless.

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Nov 5, 2012
Slope on a rope

If you want some long sportaineering check this route out, I had tons of fun on it.

mountainproject.com/v/squawstruck/106897735

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Nov 5, 2012
Slope on a rope

Super Rad

mountainproject.com/v/shunes-buttress/105880156

By Shiho
Nov 7, 2012

Zion is great that time of year. Though shune's buttress is one of the classics, it is in full shade, unfortunately. There are plenty of sunny routes to do in Zion, so don't be discouraged! Red Rocks is great, too. Primrose dihedrals and sisyphus in canyonlands are in full sun. If the road is still open, then I think they are one of the best to climb in UT.

By LeeAB
From ABQ, NM
Nov 7, 2012
Once we landed we headed to Font to find a place to stay for the night before doing a day of wine tasting and heading to Buoux.

The Promise Land
Goes at 5.11 A0 by pulling on a bolt here and there.
Though it is at about 9,000 feet, it is in the sun most of the day and if it is 65-70 in Albuquerque and not windy, it will be spectacular up there.

By alix morris
From Berkeley, CA
Nov 8, 2012
The Red Dihedral, Incredible Hulk

rainbow wall in red rocks, heard it's pretty good.

By prod.
From Boulder, Co
Nov 8, 2012

Red Rocks is the place for you.

Lev 29
Eagles Dance
Black Orphious
Chuckwalla (never done it but want to)
Epi.
Sour Mash
Dream of Wild Turkeys
Rock Warrior
Price of Darkness
Dark Shadows
Rainbow Wall (never done it but want to)

And tons more.