best dry rock this weekend for ct or nh?

By Chuck Weber
From my van
Mar 20, 2014

New to the area, hoping to find dry rock to trad climbing this weekend and welcome any helpful suggestions or current conditions report for Ragged mtn, longstack, or gunks. Thx!

By Morgan Patterson
Mar 20, 2014
Stoked...

Any of the South/SW West facing crags will be warm and likely dry. Main Cliff and East Peak in Meriden area, West Rock Most snow is gone around here... going north would likely get you wet soggy and snowy.

By Dan Felix
Mar 20, 2014

Longstack faces south, and will typically dry out relatively quickly.

However, that being said, that area received around 6" of extremely wet, heavy snow overnight last night into early this morning. You might find some dry stuff by this weekend, but if I had to guess (with the temperatures today and forecasted for tomorrow) there will be a LOT of wet rock there.

Look at the forecast for the area too- last I knew (haven't checked today; don't really want to...) there was a decent chance for snow on Saturday..... *sigh* This winter simply refuses to quit....

By M Sprague
From New England
Mar 20, 2014

Put that rack down! It is bouldering season. Snow free dry boulders in southern RI at least.

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Mar 20, 2014

+1 East Peak in Meridan, CT. Amphitheater area. Southeast facing and dry and warm.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Mar 20, 2014
modern man

Brian wrote:

I hear the more the merrier on Dull Goldor, one climb, many dudes

By Chuck Weber
From my van
Mar 21, 2014

Thanks for the info... problem is i'm long past due to feed the addiction... my rack hasn't left my pack since oct! and i'm sooo not used to that after moving up here from chattanooga where winter is THE season. Since I'm not a good pebble wrestler, seems ct or gunks it is this weekend...

By Jason Denver
Mar 21, 2014

I was climbing at Mt Longstack on Tuesday afternoon and it was fantastic. However with the 5-6" of snow wednesday night it may have changed. The area does dry out extremely quick and it may be good for saturday but there is and chance for precip on saturday night. I'm pretty sure I'll be running out there this afternoon and I'll try to remember to post back on the condition if so. Even with light precip over night it usually dries out quickly if the sun is out. The base of the cliff is pretty slippery and carrying a small shovel to create flat starting points wouldnt be a bad idea. The season is almost here!

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Mar 21, 2014
modern man

Chuck Weber wrote:

Chuck, your van should have never let you leave TN. Where in CT are you?

By Chuck Weber
From my van
Mar 22, 2014

Well, longstack here I come... snowshoeing in with partner, shovel in hand lol. Just want to see and touch it, even if she's wet and frozen... can't take it anymore!

@mj -I live in providence, ri.

By Nick Goldsmith
Mar 22, 2014

It's fckin cold out! I'm going ice climbing;)

By Nick Votto
Mar 22, 2014
Bolton, VT

Everything's pretty dry, I've been climbing the last couple weeks (with the exception of FAT ice the other day in northwest CT)....amphitheater at east peak in the AM, Ragged, whitestone later in the day...I've been sweating up there as long as the sun is out

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Mar 22, 2014

Chuck, If you're in Providence you should check out Ross Pond (30 minutes), Lantern Hill (45 minutes). They're not Ragged, Longstack, or the Gunks but they're close. There is even some decent sport climbing not too far. There is a large climbing community in RI and I don't mean pebble pinches. I mean real climbers. ;-)

www.climbri.com

By Nick Goldsmith
Mar 22, 2014

It was full blown winter in NH today......

By Chuck Weber
From my van
Mar 24, 2014

Thanks to all for the feedback. Hike in on Sat 3/22 was successful, saw footprints for luckier climbers earlier in the week, but climbing for Sat was a no go... no sun, too cold and snowing. See pics. So, chalked it up as recon visit and drove to N. Conway.

longstack approach 3/22/14
longstack approach 3/22/14

longstack 3/22/14
longstack 3/22/14

By LiamB
Mar 24, 2014

I was at the Gunks this weekend. Lot's of seepage but LOTS of dry stuff too. Humphrey's has some dry stuff in North Conway I was on recently. Some other smaller crags in the valley are in O.K shape, but helmet's are key with constant ice fall.

By Nick Goldsmith
Mar 24, 2014

Ice climbing was COLD today:)

By Dan Felix
Mar 25, 2014

Chuck Weber wrote:
but climbing for Sat was a no go

I'll be nice and not say it. ;)