Best Colorado Crack Bouldering Problems

By Sean Riley
From Colorado
Apr 13, 2013
Telluride Via Ferrata
I'm looking for the best crack bouldering in Colorado. I love crack climbing, but unfortunately I don't know how to trad climb so I'm stuck with bouldering. Anybody know of any sick crack bouldering in Colorado or eastern Utah?

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Apr 13, 2013
I know that there's a ton in Wyoming, at Vedauwoo. In the Moab area, which is eastern Utah, there's the Crack House area, and a few more besides.

There should be a lot in the South Platte, but there aren't that many well-known crack bouldering areas so you're going to end up either developing or discovering unpublished areas.

By Sean Riley
From Colorado
Apr 13, 2013
Telluride Via Ferrata
Sick, I'm going to be in all three of those places over the summer. I'm going to also keep an eye out for cracks in the high alpine of Colorado. There has got to be a ton of stuff hidden in the backcountry.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Apr 13, 2013
Stabby
So, you'd rather fall off a crack on a boulder and deal with broken ankles and shit versus just learning how to place gear and not hit the ground!?!

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Apr 13, 2013
...
It is an ODD one to me too. Why not just CLIMB the real deal instead of pebble hopping?

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
Apr 16, 2013
me on my redpoint
I know its far away but the Crackhouse in Moab is a great place to learn how to climb horizontal cracks.

By will smith
From boulder
Apr 16, 2013
Mike Lane wrote:

Huh. You got it backwards learn to lead (TRAD) then look for the boulder problems likely you'll just find more crack climbs and skip the bouldering

By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Apr 16, 2013
Flaming Pumpkin
John Marsella wrote:
If you go thru Fort Collins, CO, then hit up Piano Boulders (theres a shorty crack there); Duncan's Ridge and Rotary Park (there are a few crack-highballs there). I don't know how hard you're looking to boulder, but those are all in the "pretty easy" range. Not worth a special trip in and of itself, but if you're passing through it's a nice afternoon.

What crack highballs are in Rotary? Duncan's is good and clean, if you don't mind V-easy climbing. I can't stand to highball though so I always rope up, and it makes for a good hour or two.

Piano boulders are hardly worth it. There is one, maybe two problems worth doing for about ten minutes. Just skip it, walk across the street and spend a few more minutes at Duncan's.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Apr 16, 2013
Also, the Cats Eye Face at Horsetooth Resevoir has a couple good cracks nearby (including the roof on the face), worth checking out if you have an afternoon free in Fort Collins.

By Matt Hails
From Lakewood, CO
Apr 16, 2013
depending where you are in CO might want to check out vedauwoo wyoming. Only 2hr away from denver.

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
Apr 16, 2013
me on my redpoint
Go toprope the regular route of practice rock in boulder canyon, really nice 11b finger crack, no approach, easy to TR

mountainproject.com/v/practice...

There is a nice 5.8 crack just 100 yards up canyon as well

mountainproject.com/v/electra-...

and Bell Buttress has some of the better crack lines and is across the street

mountainproject.com/v/bell-but...

By Bryan Ferguson
From Castle Rock
Apr 16, 2013
Marvin and Greg scoping Crow's Heads Spires - snowed out on fall 1982 attempt
Breashears Crack at Morrison.

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Apr 16, 2013
Aiding. Photo by Locker.
Bryan Ferguson wrote:
Breashears Crack at Morrison.

This is very fun. Watch out for your ankles, though, it hurts if you blow it.

By tcamillieri
From Denver
Apr 17, 2013
The upper committing crux of Secret of the Beehives.
Cloudwalker, Pat's Crack, Poudre Canyon. Seurat, Mount Evans Area A. There are several cracks that have and have not been climbed at Lincoln Lake at Mount Evans.

By Sarugo
Jul 7, 2013
The Gill Crack. Boulder Canyon. V4 maybe?
Also, King Conqueror up Flagstaff Rd.

By Tom-onator
From This Galaxy
Jul 7, 2013
Tom-onator
Sean if you end up in this neck of our scorched woods I'd suggest the 5.10 crack @ the corridor boulders near Woodland Park.
Bring tape, hand jammies, and liquid bandages for the unforgiving (think cheese grater) Pike's Peak granite.

By CJC
Jul 7, 2013
king conquerer on flag comes to mind