Best City for climbing in Spain?

By henry kl
Feb 21, 2013
Thinking about trying to plan a trip for a few months next winter/ spring...would be tied down to one area a lot of the time so I was wondering what the best city/ies for easy local climbing access are

By Rafael Rovirosa
From Las Cruces, NM
Feb 21, 2013
Lerida or Lleida (same city, different language) is the place to go.

By J mac
Feb 21, 2013
Zermatt
There is great climbing all over Spain. If you are looking for a big city Barcelona has easy climbing access. Its like a 45min metro ride to Montserrat.

Its also easy to get to a lot of other destinations for weekend trips.

Will you have a car? I imagine that will open up a ton of possibilities.

I personally was not a big of of the resort towns in the Costa Blanca area, they were really just a bunch of hotels and British people.

El Chorro was my favorite area though not super close to any cities. It is like a 45 minute train ride from Malaga but only one train a day went all the way there. I am not sure how it would be driving there.

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Feb 21, 2013

Camarasa, Margalef and Rodellar are sooooo sweet. Have fun!

By GMBurns
Feb 21, 2013
Climbing at Morro Anhangava in Southern Brasil. <br /> <br />(photo by Isa Vellozo)
The region around Malaga has a shit ton of climbing, but it's too hot in the summer. El Chorro isn't the only place there.

By henry kl
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks for the responses...will need to figure out some way to get a car or vespa or something to get around. Does anyone know how Bilbao is in terms of climbing access?

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Feb 22, 2013
El Chorro
What kind of city are you talking about? Barcalona is an amazing city and probably the best "big" city for climbing. It also depends on when you are going. Southern Spain has had some very dry winters the last few years. Stacks of climbing, good winter temps, a lot of sun. None of the coastal cities are very nice but they all have good access.

I just flew back from Malaga (El Chorro area) this morning and every time I go down there I wonder why I din't just start a climber's hostel somewhere. it's really amazing and is a great place to spend winter/early spring.

If you're thinking March or later, I'd go north though. Gets very hot in the south.

By Pyrenees mountain guides
Feb 22, 2013
Basque country is great! I live there...

You have a good small-generic-guide called euskalarria

pyreneesmountain.blogspot.com....

By Pyrenees mountain guides
Feb 22, 2013
If you come to the basque country, near Bilbao, I can give you some info...
just call me or send me an e-mail

By Ben Broche
From San Francisco, CA
Apr 20, 2013
Barcelona for an overall experience (rad city, great climbing nearby) or Lleida if you want to sacrifice the balance part for being closer to the great climbing.

Buen Viaje!

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Apr 21, 2013
skitch wrote:
I would do Lleida, there is a great climbing guide to the region as well, in English: lleidaclimbs.com/ My wife and I went there last year for only 2 weeks, the selection of rock is amazing, although most all are limestone the climbing is very varied. Goddamn I wanna go back today, the wine, cheese & bread is amazing and CHEAP!!! Camarasa, Margalef and Rodellar are sooooo sweet. Have fun!

What's Lleida like? Would non-climbers enjoy it as well?

By ChelseaT
May 3, 2013
If you love the coast I highly recommend spending time in Catalunya. You can both climb and enjoy the beach. I recommend climbing in Sadernas: climbinspain.com/2010/04/taste...
Easy to fly into Barcelona, rent a car, and be there in a couple of hours. Girona is a nice city to visit as well. It also had an Europe if you're looking for cheap flights from Europe.

Cheers.