Best Bivy for the Buck

By Bonneville
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Feb 24, 2014
Alpine trip up Grandeur during a winter storm

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a bivy sac and am curious as to what everyone out there uses and prefers. I've been looking at the OR Advanced or Alpine models and they seem to be a winner. Any thoughts or suggestions?

By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Feb 24, 2014
you local?

milesgear.com/

I beat the hell out of my Uber - Dave is a great guy to work with, Ridgecrest local.

By JacksonLandFill
From Maryland
Feb 24, 2014
not everyone smiles

Army issued gore-tex bivy: www.adventuresurvivalequipment.com/military-issue-bivy-cover>>>

wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=advanced_search>>>

By Bill C.
From Fort Collins, CO
Feb 24, 2014

THREAD JACK.

I suppose this would completely depend on what you wanted to use it for, but I've been toying around with getting one of these for solo backpacking trips and I was thinking maybe my pondering might help you in your search.

www.rei.com/product/799606/hennessy-hammock-expedition-asym->>>

(or something similar)

The way I see it, you can use it as it is intended, or if there are no trees (or if it's a bit too chilly to swing in the breeze) there is nothing to stop you from simply using it as a bivy on the ground with the fly covering you. You can also set it up on the porch or backyard when you aren't off on adventures, whereas most bivy sacs will stay in the gear bin for the majority of the year gathering dust.

Granted, at about 2.5 pounds it's a little different than what you were asking for, but I figured one more idea couldn't hurt.

Good luck on your quest!

By pooler
From Albany, NY
Feb 28, 2014

+1 for the hammock I've got one and It's pimp

By shoo
From Boston, Massachusetts
Feb 28, 2014
Rock wars, Red River Gorge

Not cheap by any means, but if you want a hammock and/or bivy sack. . .

www.alpinehammock.com/

By moturner
Feb 28, 2014

I have the OR Alpine from a few years ago and I've really really liked it. Used it for a bunch of bike packing. However, it is the only bivy I have ever owned, so context might be a little lacking. Condensation hasn't been too bad and there's room to wiggle a bit. Packs real small.

Hugs

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Feb 28, 2014

Check out these ultralights, which use your trekking poles:

www.supertopo.com/reviews/gear.php?cat=1106&c=ultralight+ten>>>

By RockinOut
From NY, NY
Feb 28, 2014
Gear

+1 for the Hennessy Asym.

I've been using one for about 7 years now. I won't sleep on the ground below treeline. No rocks, roots, slopes, or puddles to worry about. If its cold or the wind is blowing I just like the bottom of the hammock with my rain/windshell and any extra clothing. The trick is to pitch it low to the ground when the conditions are less than ideal.

By Noah.J
From Carrboro, NC
Feb 28, 2014
Breithorn ski descent

Can't beat it for the price. Plus it's very heavy duty. I've had the army bivvy and a couple OR bivvy sacks, and while the ORs are lighter, they're also 60+ dollars more.