Best Big Wall Instructional Book

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Nov 19, 2012
Slope on a rope

I've dabbled in Aid climbing, and done plenty of trad/multi pitch, but am looking to broaden my knowledge of aid and general big wall techniques. Just wondering if anyone would like to point me in the direction of there favorite big wall instructional book.

Thanks,

Russ

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Nov 19, 2012
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

I find this to be a good start.
www.supertopo.com/a/How-To-Big-Wall-Climb-Table-of-Contents/>>>

By pete cutler
From Des Moines, IA
Nov 19, 2012

www.amazon.com/Big-Wall-Climbing-Technique-Mountaineers/dp/0>>>

I thought this book was very well done.

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Nov 19, 2012
Slope on a rope

Hey Pete, thats the book I was leaning towards actually, thanks for the input!

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Nov 19, 2012
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

Danger-Russ Gordon wrote:
thanks csproul, I saw that from a ST thread, it looks like it would be worth some time, I was also wondering if anyone knows if the book contains things the on line test version does not? Hey Pete, thats the book I was leaning towards actually, thanks for the input!

I'm not aware that the actual book had been completed...I thought it was only the rough-draft on-line version that was linked. I also have the book that Pete linked and found it somewhat more helpful than the older John Long & Middendorf book, although I own both.

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Nov 19, 2012
Slope on a rope

Hey csproul, I think your right about CMac's book, I cant seem to find it, so I guess its just that on-line resource for now. Thanks for the +1 on Petes recommendation, I really appreciate it.

By Caz
Dec 1, 2012

The book Pete suggested is the best one out there I think...

I've lent it out to a few people and they all thought it was good. It is a finished product. You may find someone that will lend it to you. I would but I can't remember who has it now...

ZAc

By john strand
From southern colo
Dec 1, 2012

And the Fishproducts website

By Mickey Sensenbach
From San luis obispo CA
Dec 30, 2012
me at the top of higher spire!

This book is sorta out dated but super handy.

its by john long and john middendorf
its by john long and john middendorf

By Brassmonkey
Dec 30, 2012
Brass monkey

Mickey Sensenbach wrote:
This book is sorta out dated but super handy.

Outdated is right I'd say, between this and "Big Wall Climbing: Elite Technique" I would definitely go with the later.

Better and much more up to date color pics, diagrams, and techniques.

By Dana Bartlett
From CT
Dec 30, 2012

Chris Mac posted on Supertopo that he will soon be taking orders for his how-to big wall book. He certainly has lots of experience.

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Dec 31, 2012
Slope on a rope

Cant wait to hear from the Mac, I'm sure his book will be worth the money. thanks for the heads up!

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Dec 31, 2012

If you want the most up-to-date info, I would wait for the new C Mac book. But if you're new to big-wall climbing, I would wait until you can get the older edition for a discount. ;-)

By Montezuma
Jan 1, 2013
Third trad Route in KS.

Freedom of the Hills is always helpful.

By Rick Mix
Jan 1, 2013

"The Complete Book of Big Wall Climbing" by Chongo

By DoesNotCare
From Heaven
Jan 10, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

Just released!

www.supertopo.com/packs/howtobigwall.html?utm_source=SuperTo>>>

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Jan 10, 2013
Slope on a rope

I just watched some of the YouTube videos and had a look at the free sample pages, i really like the format and the content seems like its right at my level, Ill be buying the full version for sure thanks Chris Mc!

By Mickey Sensenbach
From San luis obispo CA
Jan 12, 2013
me at the top of higher spire!

check this out

www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2038947/All-the-How-To-Big->>>

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Jan 14, 2013
Slope on a rope

Thanks Mickey Sensenbach, great link!!

By Mickey Sensenbach
From San luis obispo CA
Feb 14, 2013
me at the top of higher spire!

just got the new chris mac book on big walls and its super helpful !

By randy88fj62
Feb 14, 2013
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

While Chongo's books may be slightly outdated they are the most comprehensive volumes on big wall climbing that I have ever found.

chongonation.com/BWBook.htm

By david doucette
May 9, 2013
Top of Intersection Rock, Joshua Tree NP.

i just bought the printed and digital version of chris macnamara's book. it is awesome and he even includes a few links to videos he made showing a specific technique. he's really passionate about the sport and it shows. great book!