Best 25-35l pack for hauling

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Jul 19, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

Looking for a good quality pack for carrying shoes, etc for full day climbs, but anything I've used in the past has worn through.

By Josh Kornish
Jul 19, 2013
The Roach

Cilogear

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Jul 19, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

Them Cilogear packs are awfully nice, but at that price I would shit a brick if I got a hole in it, which I think is likely inevitable with hauling any pack.

By jdberndt
From Seatte, WA
Jul 19, 2013

BD stubby or Metolius Sentinel?

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Jul 20, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

Went with a Metolius Express. $85 from campsaver. May be a bit big, but I can definitely use as a cragging pack as well.

By Dobson
From Butte, MT
Jul 21, 2013

If that ends up too bulky or not durable enough, check out the push packs by Swaygo. They're small caving bags that are sleek and durable. A good choice for extensive chimney climbing.

The suspension and opening is a little strange for climbing. It's not the best for heavy loads or frequent access. I usually bring something like my 20L CiloGear, but if I'm afraid of abrasion, the cave pack works better.

By Zac Robinson
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jul 21, 2013
Me in the Black Canyon.  Checking out a stopper.

I like the Cilogear 20L. If you are worried about wearing a hole through it because you are hauling, then check out their hauly series.
www.cilogear.com/cragwallpacks.html

Honestly, hauling is a pain. if you only need to haul shoes and crap for a long day, just wear the pack or put the gear on your harness and don't worry about the extra work. Or leave the extra stuff back at camp.

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Jul 22, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

www.climbing.com/skill/haul-your-pack-to-climb-faster-and-ha>>>

Is everything climbing mag writes just to fill pages? I feel like I could climb a bit harder if I didn't have a pack on.

By Dane
Jul 22, 2013
Cham '11

Forget the fluff mentioned and just get a CCW. You may wear it through but it will take some real effort with 1680 denier "ballistic" nylon. My first pack of that material lasted two decades of hard alpine climbing and lots of hauling prior to the shoulder straps rotting from sweat and use. No holes in the pack's body however.

www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/ozone.htm