Belay chances... kinda funny

By RadTrad
From Prescott, Arizona
Jul 31, 2010
Storm over on Toms Thumb

So what do you think the odds are of a 160 pound male belaying a 220 pound male on top rope? eh? haha i feel like it could be very bad if he fell.

By CJ Coccia
From Boulder, CO
Jul 31, 2010
Acid Test at Paynes Ford

if you dont feel stable then anchor yourself down at the bottom of the pitch for a piece of mind =)

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Jul 31, 2010
Bocan

Paul U Roberts wrote:

You go for a small few foot ride...no biggie.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Jul 31, 2010
OMG, I winz!!!

On top rope? You won't go anywhere unless you let a ton of slack in the system.

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Jul 31, 2010
Me scaring years off my mom's life

On top rope? No big deal at all. My 100 pound girl friends belay my 200 pound guy friends on top rope all the time. My 90 pound girl friend lead belays me with no problem. As long as they're competent you'll be just fine.

By Curt Shannon
Jul 31, 2010

Chris Plesko wrote:
On top rope? You won't go anywhere unless you let a ton of slack in the system.

Or unless you're using a pulley in place of carabiners for the TR set-up--which I don't recommend.

Curt

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Jul 31, 2010
Stabby

Used to watch Kevin Gonzales (maybe 90 lbs) lead belay Stuart Green (a LOT more than 90 lbs.) at Shelf Road many years ago. Who else recalls that spectacle?

By Ryan C.
From Woodbury, MN
Jul 31, 2010

I am 140 and climb with a friend that is 290. Makes you work but not bad. (and he can go up 5.9s)

By Evan1984
Jul 31, 2010

In the TR situation described, as long as the belayer had good footing and was close to the wall and under the anchor, I'd not worry at all. If it was an uneven area or there was potential to get dragged, I'd sling someting for a ground anchor. Even a 30-40 pound rock would do.

My first lead fall was caught by a 90 pounder. I'm about 180-190. She didn't go anywhere and it was a hanging belay, 7 foot fall, 12-15ft of rope out.

By Unassigned User
Jul 31, 2010

No problem. I'm used to belaying someone 85-90# heavier than me. When I am lowering him, if I slow the rate the rope is going through device it lifts me off the ground a bit. That's all.

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Jul 31, 2010
Imaginate

Paul U Roberts wrote:

The odds are 4:1. Next question please.

By Boodge Nomchompski
Aug 1, 2010
Ancient wall art

The Larry wrote:
Damn, How many girlfriends do you have?

I think he's just trying to keep up with the typical American man. See, the typical American man (meaning, your non-athletic, McDonald's feasting, 12-pack during the game type) has 1 woman that weighs 190 lbs. Austin is smart enough to divide that weight into 2 women - which sounds like a load of fun most of the time...but also means that he has to deal with twice as much PMS.