Beginner routes near Estes Park

By BarcaRules
Jan 7, 2013

Hi, I'll be bringing some adults who've never been climbing to Estes this summer (July), and I'm wondering if there was a good place for 3-5 single pitch (or 2 short double pitches) nearby. Monastery is out due to the hike (Maybe Combat Rock now that I think of it); also looking for a shorter approach (10-15 moderate hike in). Thanks for your time.

By Jim Amidon
Jan 7, 2013
J TREE

Prospect Mountain......

www.mountainproject.com/v/prospect-mountain/105860404

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Jan 7, 2013
Epic free solo with a pack on

check out Jurassic Park as well

By Brian C.
From Longmont, CO
Jan 7, 2013
On Blanca after traversing from LB

Never climbed before or never climbed in Estes?

If they are total beginners, there are some rocks off of Mary's Lake that have some good and easy top ropes. I've seen the CMS there on several occasions with clients. Cyclop's Slab off of 34 also has a short approach and several easier lines. Also, the Ironclad's by Allenspark are zero approach and many topropes.

www.mountainproject.com/v/nancys-rock/105746919
www.mountainproject.com/v/the-ironclads/105744313

By Matt Roberts
From Columbus, OH
Jan 7, 2013
Hittin' Miguel's with the new Chimps in tow

During the week, check out the Ironclads, 15m south of EP, drive up climbing. On the weekend, it can be really busy, and annoying, but during the week, its always been really nice for us.

I second Jurassic Park, though the approach is 15m, it is pretty steep and at ~8000', so I've had some beginners get pretty gassed on the way in. But once you are there, it is a great location.

Prospect never a bad choice.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Jan 7, 2013
Bocan

Except for the fact Jurassi is a total sh*t show now. It's the outdoor gym of Estes.

By Lance S
From Maryville, TN
Jan 7, 2013
On top of the first pitch of the Nose

I took my wife's family to Jurassic Park this summer and put them on Coloradoddity (5.6) and they loved it. True the hike is a bit steep with somewhat loose ground. But her family consisted of a range of a 7 year old girl to men in their sixty's and managed alright with a few breaks to catch their breath. That particular route was nice in that in had some good height and views with awesome photo ops for those on their first route. The first thirty feet or so is a bit slabby, but I was able to talk nearly all 15 of them through the crux. In fact the seven year old crushed it! I will say that the other easy routes there are somewhat sparse. A 5.7 and maybe a few 8's. Other perks, my wife's grandparents enjoyed the walk around the lake while the rest of us climbed. From my very limited experience of climbing in Estes Park, I thought it was really nice.

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Jan 8, 2013

Ironclads near Allenspark? You can park at the bottom of the crag and there are some easier top rope options.