Bear Tooth Mountain beta? Montana

By Patrick K.
From Bozeman
Dec 17, 2012
Me cleaning at neat rock on the standard route in the madison valley, Montana

Here's a shot in the dark but, I was wondering if any body had any information on the Northwest face of Beartooth mountain in Montana. Hope to look into it this winter but any winter/summer climbing advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

By IJMayer
From Bozeman, MT
Dec 21, 2012

Patrick,

I am in the same boat as you, meaning that I'm interested in some beta for Beartooth Climbing. I'm moving to Bozeman in February and am really psyched on doing routes there. It looks like everything I want in a climbing area. Long approaches, long trad routes, few people.

Maybe we can meet up at some point and find some routes to do?

All the best,

~Ian
ianjmayer@gmail.com

By sqwirll
From Las Vegas
Dec 21, 2012
Cool snow formation at the base.

I highly doubt anyone is going to chime in with some beta since it's so obscure. You may want to try to e-mail Jack Tackle and see if he has any beta. He's responded to me in past regarding Beartooth beta.

By T Howes
From Bozeman, MT
Dec 25, 2012

www.woodandironworks.com/beartoothclimbing/index.html

this should help.

By Brian in SLC
Dec 25, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

Oh no...I looked at that beta and...my eyes, my eyes! I can't see...I think I'm blind...

Don't look, don't look!

By GoHike
From Billings, MT
Jan 30, 2013
Trad Lead, Lemon-aid - 5.10a R <br />GoPro on Drone  AJ Elliston, Pilot <br />Shoshone Canyon - Wyoming <br />2013 Dave M Shumway

Nothing firsthand from me...yet, sorry.

The link above and this one is about all that I have found:
www.summitpost.org/beartooth-mountain/153429 (decent beta)

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jan 30, 2013
El Chorro

If any of you know Wayne Harney (and you should if you spend any time in the Moab area) I think he has done the Silver Pillar and probably some more obscure stuff out there. He always has good beta. Originally from Bozeman but hangs in the desert most of the time now. If anyone is really desperate I could give him a shout and see what he comes up with.

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Jan 30, 2013
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

my buddies dad climbed it in winter a few years ago. said it was fun, but he's really hardcore. Don't ask for beta, the rad thing about the beartooths is that there really isn't much info because no one reports on what they've done. Pick a mountain, slog in the 10 or 15 miles, and climb. Check out the regulators episodes on Mulkeys site for the kind of terrain you'll be in for.

By sqwirll
From Las Vegas
Jan 30, 2013
Cool snow formation at the base.

GoHike wrote:
Nothing firsthand from me...yet, sorry. The link above and this one is about all that I have found: www.summitpost.org/beartooth-mountain/153429 (decent beta) I have plenty of advice on hiking/AT skiing in that area, but have yet to find anyone with solid (first/second hand) climbing beta, especially in winter. I'll chat with more folks and let you know if I find anything out, but it's on my list for this summer.

Most of that beta is for the Bears Tooth. I think what Pat was originally talking about is the northwest face of Beartooth Mountain, which is a 20 pitch(ish) route mentioned in Turiano's book. Correct me if I'm wrong.

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Jan 30, 2013
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

this should increase your stoke, if it doesn't I would advise against winter climbing in the beartooths.

www.coldfear.com/category/videos/

Next fall I would highly recommend you check out this route.
cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number>>>
One of the coolest spots I've ever been to in MT (actually, it might be in WY by like 300 yards...).

The two day ascent is awesome if you have the time, it'd be an easy day trip, but camping up in the mountains is always good.

By MTKirk
From Billings, MT
Jan 30, 2013
Me on Supercrack

Keenan Waeschle wrote:

Yes on this

The best thing about the Beartooths is that you get to figure everything out for yourself. This might seem a little annoying, but if it wasn't like this it would be just another ho-hum climbing area over run with people. The first time I went up to the Froze to Death plateau (20 years ago) it was like being on the moon. The last time I was there it felt like the parking lot at SuperCrack. Just pick something out & get after it. What ever you do it will be awesome. Not because there's anything special about the climbing, just because the place is incredible and every ascent feels like a first ascent.

By GoHike
From Billings, MT
Jan 31, 2013

"Select Alpine Climbs to Montana" by Ron Brunkhorst
Ian, you will want to get a copy.

Patrick, for your specific route the book says little more than that it's a Multiple Day trip 5.9ish (26 pitches most pitches are easier), the other link should give you a clue about the approach.

The ski approach in winter can be dangerous, that I can confirm from my experience skiing in the area. I have friends, who have been lucky enough to ski out of avalanches in that same area.

By IJMayer
From Bozeman, MT
Jan 31, 2013

Thanks! I picked up my copy about a week ago.

I'm looking for a partner for some summer alpine climbing (Absaroka and Beartooth Ranges especially)! Lots of multi-pitch rock experience. No snow experience but I have the gear and the psyche!

By Matt Lemke
From Red Lodge, MT
Feb 1, 2013

Ian,
I am also looking for partners for the Beartooth range this coming summer for big multi-pitch climbs. I spent 5 weeks in the Beartooths last summer and can easily spend 10 more just climbing. There are some steep snow routes I am also interested in. I hope to make a few trips to the Beartooths before May then a really big one in July.
Matt