Bear Canyon, MT Landowner

Thanks,

~Ian

By Jeff J
From Bozeman
Mar 11, 2013

IJMayer wrote:
Just wondering if anyone from the Bozeman area knew who the landowner was for the climbing in Bear Canyon. Federal? State? Town? Private? Hoping to organize a trails day there in Mid May-Early June. Any info would be helpful. Thanks, ~Ian

After you get past the residential homes and the ski hill, I am about 90% sure you are in the N gallatin range that in Natl forest service land.

By Bryan Gartland
From Helena, MT
Mar 12, 2013
Happy Turk

There is a bunch of state (and private) land around the end of the road. You don't actually cross onto Forest Service property until a mile or so up the trail.

Check out this website for ownership beta:

svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

It's probably best to check with Craig at the local state lands office before doing any work up there, but thanks for taking the initiative on this.

By Jeff J
From Bozeman
Mar 12, 2013

Bryan Gartland wrote:

After looking at this link, most of what is up there is state and forest service land, with some sparse private land. On top of asking Craig, also contact the SW Climbers Coalition they can hepl you decide if the work you wish to do is acceptable. There may be restriction/midgations on the climbing access.

www.montanaclimbers.org/

By IJMayer
From Bozeman, MT
Mar 17, 2013

Thanks for the help y'all! Especially pointing me towards Craig Campbell as it definitely looks like the climbing area is a part of the Montana State Land Trust.

As for the SWMCC, I've reached out in multiple ways to get a hold of someone but no one has been responding to my emails. Meg Hall, owner of the Spire, has at least talked to me, but told me that unless there is an access issue, the organization stays pretty low-key.

If anyone out there has a speaking relationship with one of the SWMCC board members, it'd be great if you could let them know that I'm interested in doing this. It'll be some simple trail work to help reduce some of the sketchy quick fixes that have already taken place up there.

Thanks again!

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
Mar 18, 2013
Profile Photo <br />

Hey the SMCC has been pretty lowkey for the last couple of years but you could reach out to Bill Dockins (the guy who wrote the blue guidebook and a lawyer in town) or Pat Callis (MSU professor). I work out at Spire and I can ask Meg if we can get one organized as I too think that trail needs some work. I might be able to throw some fliers up around too. Shoot me a PM if you have a need for any other info.