Be careful buying Kendall Curity tape

By GabeO
From Denver, CO
Dec 21, 2011

Some of you may be familiar with this stuff. Many consider it the best thing on the market, by far, for making tape gloves. The stickiness is the best, and it's resilient, too. The creme de la creme of tape.

Well if you've tried to buy it recently, you may have noticed that it hasn't been in stores for a few months. This is because Covidien bought the Kendall product line, and started making the tape themselves. It was back-ordered for a while as they got up to speed.

Well, I couldn't find it in stores, so I bought it online. What I got was the new version put out by Covidien. Sorry to say, it's not the same thing at all. It tears way too easily, and the stickiness is comparable to J&J or any other generic cloth medical tape.

So if you see it online, and think you're getting the old stuff - call in advance to make sure. Or prepare to be disappointed.

Cheers,

GO

By rob.calm
From Loveland, Colorado
Dec 21, 2011
Mother #1 on the Nautilus at Vedauwoo. Rob is calm...
Thanks for the warning. In the last year, even J&J is worse than it used to be. About the time they said their athletic tape was the new and improved "Zantac".

r.c

By Jeremy Kasmann
From Denver, CO
Dec 21, 2011
What is the best alternative?

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Dec 21, 2011
Bocan

:o)

By KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Dec 21, 2011
The 3 packs from Walmart seem to be pretty good (IMO). In some stores it is in the sporting good section instead of the pharmacy section.

By GabeO
From Denver, CO
Dec 21, 2011
Scott McMahon wrote:
Actually Covidien has owned Kendall since 1994. Technically it was Tyco Healthcare at that point in time, as Covidien has only been a stand alone entity for about 3 years now. So although your complaint may be valid, it doesn't have anything to do with an aquisition. :o)

Here's what the distributor who sold me mine said:

distributor wrote:
Be careful buying this from others on the listing because I know that this product was on national back order for a couple of months and when it came back it was this new item, so anyone with stock will probably be the same item.

GO

By Rob Dillon
Dec 21, 2011
Major bummer. Where is the warehouse full of the old stuff?

By Yarp
Dec 21, 2011
Tape? Is that something sport climbers do?

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Dec 22, 2011
Bocan
GabeO wrote:
Hmm... well whatever the reason, Covidien owns it, and they just recently changed it. That was the point. Here's what the distributor who sold me mine said: GO

I work for Covidien, so just thought I'd clear that up. I'd venture to assume however any changes they've made might have been more with the end user's need as well as mfg costs in mind as these are medical supplies, not climbing tape.

But I do agree with you, it's getting harder to find tape that works well for anything in our world.

By will smith
From boulder
Dec 22, 2011
I have been using a J & J product for years and consider it superior to the Kendall stuff (to sticky for me) it is called ZONAS porous tape
I have the King Sooper pharmacys order it. The order # for their supplier is 122-9863 for the 2 inch, they don't seem to have 1 inch or 1 and 1/2 inch. It comes in boxes of six last time it was 2.59 per roll.

Hope this works for you guys.

By D@n
From Boulder, CO
Dec 22, 2011
Head full of lead. Photo by Frosty Weller
I've been buying it from the BRC since it's been out at Schleptunes for months. Seems to be the same stuff last time I picked it up about a month ago.

By Guy H.
From Fort Collins CO
Dec 22, 2011
Once you have Black, you will fear to go back...
I stockpiled a bunch of boxes when I heard these news ~6 months, ago. You will not find any 1 1/2 inch old Kendall tape in any warehouse. They have been picked over by tape addicts months ago.

By Ryan Kelly
From work.
Dec 22, 2011
My kinda simian
This is some serious shit.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Dec 22, 2011
OTL
Ryan Kelly wrote:
This is some serious shit.

Fuck. People might have to learn to use technique now.

All their hand modeling dreams will be crushed.

[edit] Maybe its a CO thing?

By ssimonson09
From Tacoma, WA
Dec 23, 2011
Roadtrip!
Matt N wrote:
Fuck. People might have to learn to use technique now. All their hand modeling dreams will be crushed. [edit] Maybe its a CO thing?

I guess you've never climbed in Vedauwoo?

By slim
Dec 23, 2011
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
CA folks don't have a full appreciation for the toothy nature of rocky mountain granite. i don't really tape anymore, but the kendall tape was the only tape worth bothering with. everything else i have ever used or seen is total garbage in comparison.

kind of funny the comments a 5.7 climber will throw out there sometimes.....

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Dec 23, 2011
OTL
slim wrote:
CA folks don't have a full appreciation for the toothy nature of rocky mountain granite. ... kind of funny the comments a 5.7 climber will throw out there sometimes.....

I know, Josh granite is so smooth on the hands, and guess what? ...its even smoother when you're only a 5.7 climber.

By slim
Dec 23, 2011
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
compared to vedauwoo, josh granite is smooth indeed, particularly for the 5.7 climber....

By mattm
From TX
Jan 5, 2012
Grande Grotto
Anyone have experience with Mueller M-Tape or their Perform? Both look to have potential.

M-Tape -"Zinc Oxide Trainers Tape 100% cotton backcloth, zinc oxide trainers tape. White, bleached M-TapeŽ features high tensile strength with excellent tackiness and conformability."

Perform - "High tensile strength 100% cotton backcloth zinc oxide tape with superior adhesion and conformability. Porous feature reduces irritation, helps skin to breathe. Delivers consistent unwind to the core."

Leukotape P also looks heavy duty (albeit expensive)

By DFrench
From Cape Ann
Jan 5, 2012
Vervet Monkeys know which site is best.
Was gonna off these on Ebay, but figured I'd give the MP community a chance to score this rad deal before I make it available to the masses.

For sale is one roll of pre-recall (yes, they are date stamped) Kendall-Curity adhesive tape.

This unit has been tensile-tested using our state-of-the-art facility here in Central MA and passes all CIAPP/UAEE specs.

Based on the demand on the forums and the going rates on Ebay I think $80 is a fair price, anyone who flames that can just get their tape somewhere else, brah.

Serious PM's only please.

Anyone that knows the first thing about climbing knows that there is NO OTHER TAPE SUITABLE FOR CRACK CLIMBING on the market right now. This is a friggin' steal!

FS: Pre-recall Kendall-Curity Roll, asking $80 obo
FS: Pre-recall Kendall-Curity Roll, asking $80 obo

Tensile-tested at our on-site CIAPP/UAEE testing f...
Tensile-tested at our on-site CIAPP/UAEE testing facility