BD Raven Pro v. CAMP Corsa

By Mark Wyss
From Denver, CO
Dec 2, 2011
Mt. Baker

Just wondering if the Corsa had any advantages (besides the significant weight difference) when compared to the Raven Pro. I'm going to assume that the Raven Pro is pretty solid.

Thoughts or experiences with either axe would help. Looking to get one for xmas.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Dec 2, 2011

The Corsa is fine for self-arrest but the head is too light to get any purchase in firm snow or ice with the pick. So if you need an ax to swing at all or to use in dagger position, I don't think the Corsa is the best choice.

By Merlin
From Grand Junction
Dec 2, 2011

I'm not a fan of either. The lightweight craze goes too far in some circumstances. Try getting purchase in 2 feet of powder with solid ice underneath with either and you'll be unhappy. Either spend twice as much on an ergonomically designed axe with low weight or go with a beefy but half the price Omega Pacific type axe www.omegapac.com/op_alpine_axes.html and be safer. I've never been on snow with the BD Raven Pro that I wouldn't have felt just as comfortable on as I would have with a pair of trekking poles.

Just my two cents but those BDs are wastes of money IMHO. I've had them and sold them.

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Dec 3, 2011

Get the Raven instead of the Raven Pro.

If you need to chop ice for a tent site, the pro is much
too light to do the job. My Raven was great for that on
Denali.

By Muzaffer
From Turkey
Dec 6, 2011

Steve Williams wrote:
Get the Raven instead of the Raven Pro. If you need to chop ice for a tent site, the pro is much too light to do the job. My Raven was great for that on Denali.

I agree with Steve Williams. I use BD raven and I m so satisfied.

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks Hank Caylor!

Yeah I ended buying the Raven instead of the Raven Pro just because many others saying it's too light to chop step comparing to the original Raven version! Also, the spike of the Raven Pro is not as sharp as the Raven, so that may cause some trouble when one tries to penetrate some ice!

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Dec 7, 2011
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

tools without a steel spike are useless. If you can get away with one of the aluminum slanted spike axes you're better off just using trekking poles.

By coldfinger
Dec 29, 2011

Got the NanoTech Corsa and LOVE it, very sweet rig, performs well.

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
Dec 29, 2011
West Overhang

I have a Corsa I use for lightweight snow/glacier travel (e.g. summer alpine rock season), but for anything more serious my Grivel Air Tech Racing axe has served me well for 10+ years.

By harpo-the-climber
Dec 30, 2011

CF, can you comment further how and in what sort of conditions you have used the Corsa Nanotech? I have one I use for ski mountaineering in the Sierra but so far I have only used it for self belay going up steep snow chutes.

By coldfinger
Dec 30, 2011

harpo-the-climber wrote:

Yep, when I am not inclined to bring crampons especially it has provided a great measure of security for very little weight. Am now sold on the slight curve in the shaft as well--makes for much better swing and grip whether held at the head or bottom.

It is not an ice tool, but it is a technical mountaineering tool, pick and spike are very sharp, and penetrate well.

The big thing is I have gone with the 50cm length, which has really worked out well as it is the perfect length for steep and scary slopes and i use poles on anything else anyway.

By coldfinger
Dec 30, 2011

And I did get rid of a 65cm Raven Pro in favor of the 50cm Corsa Nanotech.

By nick frazee
From bozeman, MT
Jan 16, 2012

corsa is nice light, but more often than not quite useless. its more of the kind of axe you won if you own a quiver of axes. if you want to have just one axe go with the bd. The raven pro is the way to go unless you PLAN to do a lot of chopping.....who chops steps these days anyway? not me

By drpw
Mar 16, 2012

corsa nanotech is awesome but for a first/only axe id go raven. if you're close to competent on snow/ice then go the nanotech with xlc crampons (if your on all snow. stick with steel if your gonna be on rock.) and watch your buddies melt with jealousy when your spiky stuff weighs less then half of what theirs does.

By Stephan Doyle
Mar 29, 2012

I have a Corsa. It's a lightweight aluminum axe, so it comes along when I'm tempted to not take anything over the summer.

These are totally different tools, IMO. The Raven (Pro) is a true mountaineer's tool, a classic piolet, lightweight, and true to its function under all conditions. The Corsa is a lightweight tool, more something a hiker would use, only worth using on melting snow.