BD Magnetron Locking carabiner

By dougie2008
From Boulder
Mar 22, 2013
I really like the looks of these new carabiners but I cannot find much objective information on them.

Has anyone used the magnetron and if you have what did you think of it? Good/bad experiences.

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Mar 22, 2013
Mathematical!
They're neat, they work as intended, and they're prohibitively expensive.

By Bill Shubert
From Lexington, MA
Mar 22, 2013
Me on Kamakaze 5.10a (Ozone)
Yeah, a climbing partner of mine has one. It's cool as heck, and it works just like they say: Easy to open, easy to close, operates one handed, but it's secure and doesn't pop open by accident. I was going to buy one - then I realized that, cool as it is, it costs $25 for something that isn't in any practical way better than my old $9 screwlock carabiner. Maybe around Christmas I'll drop hints to my wife and hope to get it that way, because I'd like one but can't justify the purchase.

By Brendan Mulhern
Mar 22, 2013
I think i paid over $30 for my magnetron gridlock. It's grossly over priced, but I really like Rock & Snow in New Paltz-- so I bought one!

By GoHike
From Billings, MT
Mar 22, 2013
Trad Lead, Lemon-aid - 5.10a R GoPro on Drone  AJ...
I have two Magnetron Rocklocks and a GridLock...I just used them for a Southwest Tour (Red Rock - Zion - Indian Creek). I love them...mostly the Magnetron Rocklock. For single day multi pitch the extra weight is not a huge deal, but when you are pumped out of your mind it is so fast get into an anchor and know that you are locked.

At $25 would I replace all of my lockers...heck no. At $15 I might add a few more, especially in a smaller more efficient size.

For sport climbers and craggers, who are on and off belay frequently, it is fast and easy, and that might matter to you. Just think you can load and unload your GriGri faster ;)

I also used my Magnetron Rocklock for some canyoneering, and it handled it like a champ.

I got mine in October, 2012 and have climbed 30ish days with them since (no since using them in the gym and bouldering ;)

THE NEGATIVE - The cost and weigh more than a comparable screwgate.

I have not been able to sand or freeze one up yet.

By Raul P
Mar 22, 2013
Stella!
Got the magnetron gridlock as a present, big fan. I don't know if I'd buy one at retail though, but they are very functional.

This information probably doesn't help you.

By EricSchmidt
Mar 22, 2013
GoHike wrote:
For single day multi pitch the extra weight is not a huge deal, but when you are pumped out of your mind it is so fast get into an anchor and know that you are locked. As a photographer who climbs and shoots it is a fast way to be in and out of anchors (locked). It speeds up everything just that little bit that can make a big difference at the end of the day.

1) Why are you clipping in direct to an anchor when you are pumped out of your mind? How about just hanging a quickdraw and yelling take then figure out getting yourself anchored in....

2) "speeds everything up that can make a big difference at the end of the day".... Magnetron takes 1/2 second, screw lock takes 2 seconds. A whopping 1.5 second difference. How many times are you anchoring and unanchoring in a day to make a big difference in time savings?

What a weird reply.... Typical of someone who would buy a few magnetrons I guess.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 22, 2013
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.
Try operating one of those bastards with heavy gloves on. Not quite as ridiculous as all the auto-locking biners that freeze up and become inoperable but still annoying.

By Nick.Grant
From Calgary, Canada
Mar 22, 2013
Having a blast on Grilmair Chimneys
I picked up a Magnetron locker for myself and a Magnetron Gridlock for my friend. She enjoys the simplicity of the Magnetron action and the added safety of the gridlock. As for me, I dragged my locker through a 12 hr day of winter mountaineering here in the Rockies without any issue whatsoever. Operating the action with thick leather gloves on was not a problem, even though the locker had been covered with and dragged through snow on many pitches.