BD harnesses: ice clippers?

By earl mcalister
From idaho
Oct 23, 2012
me
Can you attach ice clippers to any of the new Black Diamond harnesses? Was looking at the Chaos harness and can't see a point where you can attach them because all of the webbing is contained inside the waist belt. Am I missing something? This would seriously detract me from buying BD harnesses in the future if I had to buy the specialized and expensive Xenos harness just to clip some damn screws to my belt.

By Gunkiemike
Oct 23, 2012
earl mcalister wrote:

There's only $5 difference between those harnesses.

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
Oct 23, 2012
earl mcalister wrote:

I use one of those rubber bands that hold stalks of broccoli together and use that to attach a large carabiner to my harness as an ice clipper. If you're worried about breakage, run the carabiner through a gear loop

By Patrick Carey
From Keene, NY
Oct 28, 2012
Get the Aspect if you want the all-rounder. It has ice clipper loops. The Chaos does not. The Xenos is awesome for ice and mixed, but a little weak for trad. This is due to small gear loops. I've used mine for trad, but prefer the Wild Country Syncro with lots of gear loops. The Xenos does have a couple extra clipper loops compared to pretty much any other harness out there (6 total), which let you locate the clippers further back. I prefer to run mine this way for ice.

Also, BD ice clippers have nothing on the Petzl Caritools. They have a nice toothed slot built in to grab the clipper loop. No rubber bands to deal with - the broccoli kind or otherwise. That whole broccoli thing kind of weirds me out - in a McGyver sort of way.

By Jeff J
From Bozeman
Oct 28, 2012
Patrick Carey wrote:
Also, BD ice clippers have nothing on the Petzl Caritools. They have a nice toothed slot built in to grab the clipper loop. No rubber bands to deal with - the broccoli kind or otherwise. That whole broccoli thing kind of weirdos me out - in a McGyver sort of way.

here I have both the ice clippers and the caritool.
The caritool is by far a superior ice screw biner.

By AThomas
Nov 2, 2012
Jeff J wrote:
+1 here I have both the ice clippers and the caritool. The caritool is by far a superior ice screw biner.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Nov 6, 2012
Epic free solo with a pack on
I have the aspect harness and the petzl ice-clippers...good combo. I love that harness...amazing value

By XYZ
Dec 27, 2012
Agree with those who think the Petzl Caritool is much better. The Caritool also has a 'biner top "shelf" whereby one can pull up 'x' number of screws (say 2-3) to get at the size you want and place the others via their hangers on the shelf, out of the way of the wire gate. The "shelf" is also mildly serrated (tiny plastic ridges) that helps the hangers from moving around. The BD clipper profile is such that when the top of it sits against the harness, a slight wedge is created between the 'binder & harness. This doesn't happen often but it can; as you flip the screws of different sizes on to the top of the clipper to get at the one you want, it's possible that one of the hangers will slide down between the clipper & the harness. The screw's hanger doesn't get stuck, it's just annoying. If you can get one of each (or look at the home pages of BD & Petzl), compare the side profile and the difference is obvious. The only downside of the Petzl's is that the teeth of the portion that is used to clip onto a harness can be a "one way street", i.e., can be hard to remove it if need be -- it really clamps down. But that's another thing I like about the Caritool; they are solid once on...no flopping around (also obviates the need to buy broccoli if you don't eat it). You can use a flat-bladed tool such as a slot head screwdriver, etc. to pry this "clamping" thingy open. Definitely worth this tiny bit of hassle.

By XYZ
Dec 27, 2012
I found the Aspect harness's forward-most clipper slots to be too far forward. Nice leg (or other vitals) jab. Haven't climbed in an Aspect but did try one on & loaded it with ice gear. I didn't like it, esp. at a minimum, I think the screws would nick your pants? Not sure but I think so.

By Graham Johnson
Dec 27, 2012
another vote for the caritool being a whole lot better than the bd ice clipper. However, I have an aspect (not the newest one, but the orange/gray version) and I think it sucks. Small gear loops, poorly positioned ice clipper slots, bulky yet not that durable. Give that one a miss...
heaps of other brand's harnesses have ice clipper slots - most companies will have 2 or 3 harnesses with slots - check 'em out.

By Bob A
Dec 27, 2012
Another vote for the Caritool clippers.I have two (one on each side).

I know of two friends that have had the BD clippers break very easily which fortunately was at ground level and resulted in no lost screws.

My winter harness is a Petzl Corax which has a place to clip the Caritool too.

By XYZ
Dec 28, 2012
Bob is right insofar as the BD clipper prone to breaking and it's not just in mixed climbing. The Caritools are almost indestructible...have used them since they came out. Depending on the route, type of rock etc, I'll even clip a couple of them on my rock harness. You just can't beat how slender they are and the wire gate is strong & smooth. I'm sure others have had problems with them but I don't know of any. Several years ago they were impossible to find but they should be readily available now.

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Feb 4, 2013
Indian Creek Climbing
Any new opinions on the caritool? I'm looking at picking up a few to try out. Thank you

By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Feb 4, 2013
What?  Nothing in this photo is yours, so you can'...
You need more opinions on the Petzl clippers? Scroll up, baby! I regret getting the BD version.

By divnamite
From New York, NY
Feb 4, 2013
No BD. Get Petzl.

The End.

By WillP
Feb 11, 2013
One lone voice speaking up for the BD ice clipper over the Petzl caritool - but only if your harness lacks the little webbing loops designed for these ice screw rackers (as the original question alluded to). Using such a harness recently for a couple of weeks, with a BD ice clipper on one side and a Petzl caritool on the other, the caritool, with the spine of it on the inside of the harness, dug into my hip something vicious, particularly when under a pack waistbelt or hanging in my harness. The ice clipper, on the other hand, had the spine on the inside of the harness, and the rubber band thing that comes with it against my hip, and caused no problems.