BD Aspect vs Petzl Adjama vs any other harnesses?

By Ethan Mansfield
Apr 14, 2013
profile picture

I'm getting a new harness and am looking for one that will get the job done on pretty much everything. Something for everything from 40 ft. sport climbs to day long trad climbs to alpine ice climbs, to ski mountaineering and glacier travel. I want something lightweight and comfy that I can wear all day, walk around in, hang in, pee in, etc. Mt. Rainer, the Picket Range, Exum Ridge, the Elephant's Perch, the North Face of Mt. Borah, and the climbing gym are a few of the places I hope to find myself in this harness this summer. The only thing this harness won't be doing is climbing giant sequoias, single pitch water ice, and canyoneering.

I've looked pretty closely at the BD Aspect and the Petzl Adjama, does anyone have anything to say about either of these or recommend any others?

Cheers
Ethan

By Linnaeus
From New England/ Baltimore
Apr 14, 2013

Camp Quartz CR3: very comfortable, lightweight, good gear loops, good haul loop, and great for all seasons and types of climbing b/c you can always center the harness/gear loops on your waist. I didn't realize how nice it was until I got one; there's a reason Chris McNamara/Supertopos gave it Editor's Choice. It really is that good. Super comfortable for all types of climbing, I have used mine for everything you have listed.

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Apr 14, 2013
Mathematical!

You will not want to spend much time in a hanging belay in the Adjama. Trust me. Otherwise, it's a great harness.

Edit- Just realized they released a new Adjama sometime in the last few years. I have no experience with the new one, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

By Sthomps30
Apr 14, 2013

I got the new BD Aspect a couple of months ago, had it out ice climbing, up in Eldo & in the gym & have been really happy with it

By bearbreeder
Apr 14, 2013

whatever fits amd feels good hanging

and doesnt give you squishy ballz syndrome

its that simple ;)

By Robert Raithel
From Golden, CO
Apr 14, 2013
Movement just prior to the pinch for the crux sequence.

+1 to the previous post.

Both of these harnesses have essentially the same features. Adjustable leg loops to put the harness on while wearing crampons, ice clippers/caritool loops in locations that make sense with respect to the gear loops. The Aspect does have one extra gear loop on the back(not full strength).

I'd try them on at a local shop, or if that isn't possible, order them both from a website that offers free returns on climbing equipment. Be sure to check the return policy before ordering. Check the sizing chart on Black Diamond's and Petzl's websites.

By Andrew Mayer
Apr 15, 2013
top of mt. lady washington - rmnp

+1 to what Robert said. I've been very happy with my adjama for a couple of years ranging from sport, trad, ice to alpine.

By Brad W
From San Diego
Apr 15, 2013

I have a Aspect and CR3 currently, and had an Adjama ~2 years ago. My take:
-Padding on the Aspect slightly beefier than the CR3, which is more comfy but bulkier
-Centering feature on the CR3 is nice
-Gear loops on the Adjama are way too far back

I'd say it's a toss up between the Aspect and CR3, but getting to the back gear loops on the Adjama really bugged me.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Apr 15, 2013

Get a Misty Mountain Caddy and never look back.