Bay Area Climbing Scene

Mar 29, 2013
Wa pass
Might be moving to there soon. What is the climbing scene like? How to people find partners? Thanks. Dyan
From Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 1, 2010
50 points
Mar 29, 2013

Patrick
PatCleary
From Rohnert Park, CA
Joined Sep 23, 2011
0 points
Mar 29, 2013
Lots of climbers, lots of some of the best gyms in the country. A few "local" crags but most of the good stuff is in Yosemite or Tahoe. NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Joined Oct 6, 2011
116 points
Mar 29, 2013
Me
Yea us, The Stones , r moving there too! Psyched! Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 29, 2013
Hello
Lots of climbers here. Good gyms. I go to Planet Granite and love the different kinds of cracks these gyms have. From finger size to OWs. Belmont location has a chimney in addition to hand cracks/OW. Yosemite about 3.5-4.5 away (based on the driver lol). Tahoe has some great climbing as well. Access to Eastern Sierra... SirTobyThe3rd
Joined Mar 12, 2012
957 points
Mar 30, 2013
Good comments above. And take up wind surfing. It's a lot closer. TWK
Joined Sep 15, 2012
164 points
Mar 30, 2013
TWK wrote:
Good comments above. And take up wind surfing. It's a lot closer.

Some great kiteboarding too, and some great mtbing. Go down repack on a modern bike...then imagine doing it on a cruzer o.O
NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Joined Oct 6, 2011
116 points
Mar 30, 2013
I did the Repack in the 80s, and then mtn bike access was becoming severely restricted, with enforced speed limits and similar nonsense. Is it still open? TWK
Joined Sep 15, 2012
164 points
Mar 30, 2013
TWK wrote:
I did the Repack in the 80s, and though mtn bike access was now severely restricted, with enforced speed limits and similar nonsense. Is it still open?

lol enforcing mtb stuff in marin. Yeah it's still open, and you don't even have to poach it.
NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Joined Oct 6, 2011
116 points
Mar 30, 2013
NorCalNomad wrote:

It may be one of the best trails I've ever ridden.
TWK
Joined Sep 15, 2012
164 points
Mar 30, 2013
TWK wrote:
Good to hear, thanks. I moved out of state for a while, and lost track of the changes there. It was ludicrous when it was going on, bike cops crouching behind shrubberies with radar guns. Sierra clubbers pissing and moaning about "nearly" being hit by mtn bikes, cyclists taunting the Sierra clubbers. Madness all around. It may be one of the best trails I've ever ridden.

You need to get around to doing more riding then
NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Joined Oct 6, 2011
116 points
Mar 30, 2013
NorCalNomad wrote:
You need to get around to doing more riding then

I hear ya. I've done some stuff in Moab (Slickrock, White Rim), Colorado (St. Marys Glacier, Colorado Trail, Banana Belt Loop) and North Carolina (Tsali), and Goat Mtn out here in NorCal, some other stuff down in KY and TN. But I always really liked the Repack. So much history.

But I've moved on to other stuff now. My bike is out of date (so I am, LOL). I no longer like having to load up a bike and drive to use it. I'm back to local road biking. And now I've got a horse--that's like trying to ride a 1200 lb mtn bike with a contrary mind of its own. And kids, so I've got to pick and choose more now.
TWK
Joined Sep 15, 2012
164 points
Mar 30, 2013
You went from not having to feed, clean up after, and a much cheaper means of recreation to... a horse... WHAT WENT THROUGH YOUR MIND MAN? :P NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Joined Oct 6, 2011
116 points
Mar 31, 2013
You're right. They eat cash and $hit work. But my wife found him abandoned and starving in a cattle pasture. Turns out he's a grandson of Seattle Slew, a Triple Crown winner, so WTF, it's something different. It's like trying to ride a rocket. TWK
Joined Sep 15, 2012
164 points
Apr 12, 2013
Gotham Wall Owens
To Patrick,
It's pretty easy to find a partner when they keep showing up at the same crag on the same weekend:)
B
PatCleary wrote:
Lots of climbers around. If nothing else, spend a weekend in Yosemite and you'll meet plenty of other SF people. I'm always down for meeting up with new people to climb or ski (I'm north bay, but in the mountains pretty frequently) Patrick
Brian Biancardi
From Oakland
Joined Mar 22, 2013
10 points

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!