Bay Area Climbing Scene

By fallingpinecone
From Seattle, WA
Mar 29, 2013

Might be moving to there soon. What is the climbing scene like? How to people find partners? Thanks.

By PatCleary
From Rohnert Park, CA
Mar 29, 2013

Patrick

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 29, 2013

Lots of climbers, lots of some of the best gyms in the country. A few "local" crags but most of the good stuff is in Yosemite or Tahoe.

By Liberty
Mar 29, 2013
Me

Yea us, The Stones , r moving there too! Psyched!

By SirTobyThe3rd
Mar 29, 2013
Hello

Lots of climbers here. Good gyms. I go to Planet Granite and love the different kinds of cracks these gyms have. From finger size to OWs. Belmont location has a chimney in addition to hand cracks/OW. Yosemite about 3.5-4.5 away (based on the driver lol). Tahoe has some great climbing as well. Access to Eastern Sierra...

By TWK
Mar 30, 2013

Good comments above. And take up wind surfing. It's a lot closer.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 30, 2013

TWK wrote:
Good comments above. And take up wind surfing. It's a lot closer.

Some great kiteboarding too, and some great mtbing. Go down repack on a modern bike...then imagine doing it on a cruzer o.O

By TWK
Mar 30, 2013

I did the Repack in the 80s, and then mtn bike access was becoming severely restricted, with enforced speed limits and similar nonsense. Is it still open?

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 30, 2013

TWK wrote:
I did the Repack in the 80s, and though mtn bike access was now severely restricted, with enforced speed limits and similar nonsense. Is it still open?

lol enforcing mtb stuff in marin. Yeah it's still open, and you don't even have to poach it.

By TWK
Mar 30, 2013

NorCalNomad wrote:

It may be one of the best trails I've ever ridden.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 30, 2013

TWK wrote:
Good to hear, thanks. I moved out of state for a while, and lost track of the changes there. It was ludicrous when it was going on, bike cops crouching behind shrubberies with radar guns. Sierra clubbers pissing and moaning about "nearly" being hit by mtn bikes, cyclists taunting the Sierra clubbers. Madness all around. It may be one of the best trails I've ever ridden.

You need to get around to doing more riding then

By TWK
Mar 30, 2013

NorCalNomad wrote:
You need to get around to doing more riding then

I hear ya. I've done some stuff in Moab (Slickrock, White Rim), Colorado (St. Marys Glacier, Colorado Trail, Banana Belt Loop) and North Carolina (Tsali), and Goat Mtn out here in NorCal, some other stuff down in KY and TN. But I always really liked the Repack. So much history.

But I've moved on to other stuff now. My bike is out of date (so I am, LOL). I no longer like having to load up a bike and drive to use it. I'm back to local road biking. And now I've got a horse--that's like trying to ride a 1200 lb mtn bike with a contrary mind of its own. And kids, so I've got to pick and choose more now.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 30, 2013

You went from not having to feed, clean up after, and a much cheaper means of recreation to... a horse... WHAT WENT THROUGH YOUR MIND MAN? :P

By TWK
Mar 31, 2013

You're right. They eat cash and $hit work. But my wife found him abandoned and starving in a cattle pasture. Turns out he's a grandson of Seattle Slew, a Triple Crown winner, so WTF, it's something different. It's like trying to ride a rocket.

By Brian Biancardi
From Oakland
Apr 12, 2013
Gotham Wall Owens

To Patrick,
It's pretty easy to find a partner when they keep showing up at the same crag on the same weekend:)
B

PatCleary wrote:
Lots of climbers around. If nothing else, spend a weekend in Yosemite and you'll meet plenty of other SF people. I'm always down for meeting up with new people to climb or ski (I'm north bay, but in the mountains pretty frequently) Patrick