Basalt, CO vs Bozeman, MT

By Alex M. Smith
From Jersey City, NJ
Apr 10, 2013
Mt. Marcy

Looking at possible jobs in both areas. Thoughts on either would be appreciated... points for? Points against?

By Nick Stayner
From The Magic City
Apr 10, 2013
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.

Did you not get enough Bozeman info in your last thread? :) mountainproject.com/v/montana-seasonal-conditions/108051762#>>>

By justin dubois
From Estes Park
Apr 10, 2013
Lost Cities 5.12a,Black Canyon,CO

they're both WAY better than Jersey....

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Apr 10, 2013
RJN

The roaring fork valley(Basalt),is one of the most beautiful places in Colorado second only to the San Juan's. As as size, it's small, but Aspen isn't far away neither is Glenwood Springs. As far as rock climbing, Glenwood has some, Aspen has some on Independace Pass, both 30+ min away. Ice in the winter is great, and skiing can be world class.

By Josh Kornish
Apr 10, 2013
The Roach

ColoRADo ;)

By Ben Lock
From Cedar City, UT
Apr 10, 2013

I've never been to Bozeman, I've heard it's cool. I love this valley, but it has some major downsides, one is it is very expensive to live here and I'm thinking about leaving for that reason.
It really depends on what you are looking for. Climbing here, though stellar in some spots, I.E. Rifle and Indy pass, is a trek to get out to, there is closer stuff to climb, Frying Pan in Basalt, Red stone boulders and some interesting secret climbs as well. If you are looking to climb Ice I think MT is the place. There is great skiing here (Last few years have sucked for snow.) Great Mtn Biking too. I love my community here- although it trends to be a mid thirty something or older crowd and if you are single, good luck, not great odds for dating- great people here. If you do come to the area, Carbondale is waayy cooler than Basalt.
I hope that helps, good luck on your quest.

By Zach Pickard
From Riverside, California
Apr 14, 2013
Roof romp

Basalt hands down. rifle 45 minutes away independence pass 45 minutes away. Skiing in the winter. Ice in the winter. rich cougers in the winter. Redstone bouldering. Moab 4 hours away....