Banff FF disappointing this year?

At the BRC
Saw the second night of films at the Boulder Theater last night. I look forward to being inspired by the Banff films every year. But it didn't happen this time. Was it just me?
I'm not up for writing a scathing review of each of the films, but really, the only one that got me motivated was "Gimp Monkeys" which was about three guys who happened to be amputees, climbing El Cap because they wanted to climb El Cap.
Reel Rock was 10 times better.
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
FAIL
I was hoping this year would be good guess i can skip it this time around KENtucky
From Louisville, Ky
Joined Jan 17, 2009
33 points
Cold day at Smug's
You do know that every show is different, right? They don't show the same films at every location/night, they switch them up. I did not see Gimp MOnkies, and I was kind of hoping to.I thought this year was ok, I saw it up in Burlington and enjoyed it. They showed Alex Honnolds triple crown. Last year I was a little disappointed. I could have done without the Spirit Bear and the flyfishing!Bring back the Giant Metal Box (anyone remember that one?)! csproul
From Davis, CA
Joined Dec 3, 2009
209 points
At the BRC
csproul wrote:
You do know that every show is different, right? ...I saw it up in Burlington and enjoyed it. They showed Alex Honnolds triple crown. ...!Bring back the Giant Metal Box (anyone remember that one?)!

Yes, I probably should expound on the individual films, so folks can decide based on the line-up at their venue.

The Honnold film was excellent, but maybe viewing it once is enough. It was shown as part of Reel Rock here. Maybe it was shown on Day 1 at the Boulder theater.

What's the metal box?
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Casual Route Pitch 3  Photo by Mark Cushman
We went last night as well.
I enjoyed the videos as entertainment, but I too don't have that 'I should quit my job and just go feeling' I often hope for.

"Gimp Monkeys" being the only one that did. Respect to them and the film makers.

-Jon

1st Afghan Ski Challenge
Brassmonkey
Joined Jan 19, 2012
70 points
At the BRC
Brassmonkey wrote:
This is the list for the showing I am going to on Saturday, is it a lot of the same ones you saw and didnt like? Crossing the Ice Lily Shreds Trailside Reel Rock 7: Honnold 3.0 Industrial Revolutions Flow Hunters Unicorn Sashimi Moonwalk 1st Afghan Ski Challenge

Crossing the Ice- a reprise of the duo who did the Tasman Sea crossing. Enjoyable enough, but kind of the same film, just with ice instead of water. Not bad, just derivative, if you can say that of film makers and their own prior films.

Honnold- excellent. Worth going to just for this.

Industrial Revolutions- spectaular mountain bike tricks, but kind of joyless- a lone guy doing tricks in an abandoned industrial park. Great tricks though.

The others weren't on our program last night.
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Feb 28, 2013
As oppose to everyone on this thread, I thought the night I went was really good. Crossing the ice was awesome.. It's amazing what shear will power can achieve. Gimp monkies were great. An unexpected one that I thought was also good was a mountain biking clip. thomas.w
From Denver, CO
Joined Jul 11, 2011
8 points
Feb 28, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life
Flow Hunters was awesome. Probably my favorite one from the whole night. Short though. Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Joined Apr 26, 2009
101 points
Feb 28, 2013
Agree - disappointing; I saw first half first night in Boulder. I checked out the website, and I think that the Radical Reels Tour is what I am looking for - reminiscing about a failed snowmobile epic, which went on for 45 minutes the night I went, was a waste and overshadowed the good short films. Henry Lester
Joined Jun 16, 2003
28 points
At the BRC
thomas.w wrote:
An unexpected one that I thought was also good was a mountain biking clip.

Was this 'Strength in Numbers'? If so, I agree it had some good footage, particularly of the dirt park. And the subsequent trail building echoes the "build it for the community" theme. Doesn't mention whether these were approved trails or not, but that's a different issue.
But what was the poin of the Swiss footage at the start of the film? Doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the movie. Just to write off the trip for tax purposes?
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Feb 28, 2013
Mark. It was 'Strength In Numbers' as you said, and I think they were trying to emphasize the universal language of mountain biking in the swiss clip (doesn't matter where you come from or what language you speak). It doesn't tie into the overall theme all that well, but sometimes it just comes down to enjoying watching people ride sweet lines. Lines that haven't been ridden by these guys before and just enjoy seeing the sport at it's highest and most aesthetic level. My 2cents. thomas.w
From Denver, CO
Joined Jul 11, 2011
8 points
At the BRC
thomas.w wrote:

The other weird thing about that Swiss section, where were all the hikers? I've been to Zermatt, the trails are busy! Of course that was decades ago, or do they have dedicated mountain bike trails now?
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Moby dick 5.11-
Petzl Roc Trip China was the biggest hit amongst climbers and non-climbers at our showing. The music in the clip is just incredible.

Another good climbing clip was Viva La Vie but more because of the Verdon scenery than the narratives.

-Strength in Number was also really good.
Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Joined Dec 8, 2007
1,173 points
Feb 28, 2013
I'm planning on attending in Denver tomorrow night...how were you able to find the lineup of films for a particular night? JustinJD.
From Denver
Joined Aug 20, 2011
0 points
just a silly observation
just a silly observation

Seriously though, I enjoy Banff because I get to see lots of different things, not just climbing. Do I love every film? No. Most of them are quite good though.

[edited for grammar]
James Glover
From Boulder, CO
Joined Apr 29, 2008
8 points
Mar 3, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my...
Wild Bill's Last Ride about Bill Cooper's two attempts to snowmobile from Minnesota to Moscow was probably the best adventure film I've seen in years, if not ever. willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Joined Jul 20, 2010
42 points
Mar 3, 2013
Leading Blue Collar Crack.
willeslinger wrote:

...and it was entirely bizarre for that to be in the Banff FF. Good film, just not what I was expecting.
Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Feb 9, 2012
1,279 points
Mar 3, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my...
Garret Nuzzo-Jones wrote:

Fair enough, but I liked it immensely more than the bro brah powder skiing gnar that was on before it, which is something you'd expect to see.
willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Joined Jul 20, 2010
42 points
Mar 3, 2013
Scooby Snacks
That female longboarding movie was terrible.
The bmx one was fucking rad.
Jeremy Jones quoting himself in the beginning of that boarding movie in Alaska was ridiculous, and it had some cool lines but felt like a waste of time.
I enjoyed watching La Dura Dura again, even though I saw it at Reel Rock.
The wingsuit movie was fucking insane and I loved it.
Kite-skiing is the bomb.

Overall, pretty happy with the films.
Tyler W
From Utah
Joined Jul 8, 2012
156 points
Mar 3, 2013
Jeff McLeod on The Scientist 5.11a
Saw the 2nd night of films at Boulder Theater as well. I agree that some of the films were a bit weaker than I had hoped...the one about busing old black women to yosemite for example, and the canyoneering one...I'm sorry, old guys getting psyched on rappelling and making a huge deal about whether their rope is long enough doesn't really do it for me :/ Jeff McLeod
Joined Nov 3, 2011
80 points
Mar 3, 2013
At the BRC
Jeff McLeod wrote:

I'm with you on both of these films.
The Yosemite film seems like the worst kind of political correctness, plus, I don't think ANYBODY should be allowed to take bus tours into the Valley. Everyone should walk in from the entrance! Thin the herd for sure.

And how did they manage to make exploring really cool beautiful canyons seem like a tedious exercise in ticking off every last unknown? Whenever they have to tell you again and again just how dangerous what they are doing is, you pretty much know it's not that dangerous.
The editing of Allen Steck was cruel, letting him repeat himself pointlessly.
Lots of old guys rock in the canyoneering world, but you wouldn't know it from that film.
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Mar 3, 2013
Profile Photo
willeslinger wrote:

+1 worth the price of admission alone. But I'm from Alaska and so I've seen the shit people pull of on a snowmachine these days.
Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
Joined Mar 22, 2011
2,110 points
Mar 3, 2013

I liked the ice skating Norwegian.
nicelegs
From Denver
Joined Oct 29, 2012
16 points
Mar 3, 2013
At the BRC
nicelegs wrote:
Does anyone else think the wide boys sucked? They gave no background whatsoever on who Bob Scarpelli is, even though he is prominent in the film. Also, the best offwidth climber in the US Justin Edl, was conspicuously absent even though there was loads of footage of his friends at his home crag. I guarantee Justin was fucked over again due to sluts with sportsbra's and video/magazine editors who refuse to acknowledge someone who doesn't play by their rules. I liked the ice skating Norwegian.

I enjoyed the Wide Boys at Reel Rock, but don't know anything about offwidths, so wasn't bothered by any of the backstory.
The drunk thin ice skater movie was better last year, I thought.
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Mar 3, 2013
Jeff McLeod wrote:

Was this "Last of the Great Unknown"? I saw the previews for it and it looked pretty cool, but I kind of geek out on the adventure type of stuff they are doing. Definitely looked like some cool stories came out of those trips, interested to know if that translated to the film.
Ryan Hill
From Oakland, CA
Joined Dec 8, 2009
48 points

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!