Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
ball of foot hot spots/blisters

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
May 13, 2013
West Overhang

The last few weekends I have been doing linkups (6-7K ft of climbing) in the Flatirons, mostly in approach shoes. Both times friction-related pain on the balls of both feet has limited my progress. My friend noted the same thing with his Raptors. I have intermittent sesamoiditis, which the approach shoes help to prevent.

I have experienced this on alpine routes also, but it usually doesn't start until ~14 hours in (I realize slabs accelerate onset). Not surprisingly, it's worse in warmer temps. I have tried different approach shoes, inserts with tackier surfaces, double socks, tape, and lubing my feet. And, yes, I have read Fixing Your Feet. It doesn't happen with long runs/hikes or with climbing shoes. Any recommendations other than trying to do everything in climbing shoes?

thanks

By Aerili
From Salt Lake City, UT
May 13, 2013
Duck face with Largo

When you tried taping and lubing, did you do it at the same time? i.e. use tape and then lube over it and re-apply regularly throughout your climbing? What did you lube with?

While athletic tape sticks better for this purpose, another option is using duct tape. The only problem is getting it to stick to your skin well for long periods of time. Maybe use athletic tape as an anchor for the duct tape on the top or sides of your foot.

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
May 13, 2013
West Overhang

thanks, Aerili

What worked for me without fail when I was ultrarunning is silicone lube alone, so that's what I used before I left the house. Duct tape tends to exacerbate blister problems for me b/c it holds in moisture. I had a roll of Mueller Euro tape in my pack, so I tried that after the lube wasn't helping. Tony suggested that I reduce the volume of my approach shoes; I think I will try a lower volume pair with different liner socks and lube as a backup.

p.s. The sesamoiditis has been a lot better. Thanks again for the info.

By john strand
From southern colo
May 13, 2013

i don't know it will help.. but istarted chalking my feet 30 years ago.. for climbing, running and hiking. seems to help

disclaimer- i have not worn socks for ever and have not had a blister fot years.. I think it's foot slip issue

just mine

By Aerili
From Salt Lake City, UT
May 13, 2013
Duck face with Largo

Okay, but did you try taping + lube over the tape? For me, it is a superior combination than either alone.

Also, I assume by a "lower volume shoe" you mean a shoe with a lower profile toebox? I have no idea if this will work (it certainly could) but keep in mind that stuff like that is dependent on your foot shape and its own natural volume...it could also present a whole new set of problems for you.

By john strand
From southern colo
May 13, 2013

inever did the tape/lube .. i have problems with heel size usually.. guess that's the years of climbing

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
May 13, 2013
West Overhang

I have tried the lube/tape previously with long distance running at least. Tape has never helped me personally, it either does nothing or makes the problem worse with creases or when it starts to come off. I have lower volume approach shoes already and come to think of it, have never had the friction issues with alpine at least. thanks though

By Truck13
May 13, 2013

FWIW...I tend to get blisters when I use liners in warm weather. A single pair of socks treats me best in in warm and hot weather.

Truck13

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
May 14, 2013
West Overhang

thanks, Truck. Will keep that in mind.