Bald Rock Basin in CT

By Brian Carolan
From Watertown, CT
Mar 30, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find many of the boulders and/or problems in the area? I've found several but many locations have left me baffled,and a lot of the directions online aren't very clear. I have been to the area numerous times and I'm still coming up empty handed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Mar 30, 2014
modern man

get in touch with Morgan for an after work tour
www.mountainproject.com/u/morgan-patterson//106569219

By A.wilk
From MA
Mar 31, 2014

I've been out there a few times and they aren't all that hard to find. The thing that worked for me was to wander around until I found the Colossus boulder. The thing is massive and if you get out there before the trees get their leaves you can see it from far away. Once you have that as a landmark, tons of other boulders are all around it that are easy to identify with the descriptions on here.

By andyelliott
Mar 31, 2014
amarillo sunset

its pretty confusing in there unless you have someone show you the way. its probably a 30 minute walk from the parking lot to the king boulder, where a lot of the directions are based around.

By Morgan Patterson
Mar 31, 2014
Stoked...

--- Invalid image id: 108802515 ---

If you're still confused I'd recommend talking to the AMC about some orienteering classes and maybe consider another sport.

Have fun fellas... maybe getting out tomorrow 4/1 post work. 5pm in the parking lot.

By Brian Carolan
From Watertown, CT
Mar 31, 2014

AW - I found the Colossus with no trouble and realize there are numerous boulders around it. What I was looking for was some advice to specific (named/recommended) problems.

Morgan - I may try and meet you tomorrow at 5:00 after my orienteering class!

By rogerk
Mar 31, 2014

Morgan, you should get that map linked on the main page of Bald Rock Basin section.
(I assume from this post that you're ok with people knowing how to get there.)

By andyelliott
Apr 18, 2014
amarillo sunset

Ill be going there today to try some king boulder stuff (and likely failing). so if anybody wants to come ill be down there all by my lonesome.

By Joe M.