Bad Gate Buttress Fall

By Josh Triplett
From Bountiful, UT
Jun 25, 2014
Saw on the news someone took a bad whipper up at gate buttress last night and had to be rescued. Hope he's okay and recovers soon. Article said he fell around 30 feet off a 'technical' route. I'm guessing that means a tough slab, without a helmet? Like I said best of luck to the guy, sounds awful. Would be interested to know what actually happened and why. Get better dude. All pulling for you!

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Jun 25, 2014
This is 3rd hand information: sounds like it may have been a lowering/rappel mistake off Gordon's Direct (or the Perhaps intermediate anchor), in the dark (or at least at dusk). Ground fall, lots of blood, incoherence, no helmet. He was evac'd by helicopter, going home today with a messed up face and a bunch of stitches but no serious or permanent damage. The rope is still up there, if anyone gets it down I can get the contact info for the involved party.

Pure speculation on my part: you can't get off Gordon's with a 70 so it sounds like it was either a rap off the end of the rope situation or an improperly rigged rappel off the intermediate anchor on Perhaps. I may be completely wrong

By C. Archibald
Jun 25, 2014
Me on some bolted 10 in boulder canyon
I rapped off Gordon's with a 70 a few days ago.

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Jun 25, 2014
C. Archibald wrote:
I rapped off Gordon's with a 70 a few days ago.

Top of Gordon's to the ground?
I should have been clearer: you can't get off Gordon's with a single rope rap on a 70m rope. You have to stop at the intermediate anchor on top of P1 of Perhaps. An 80m might do...

By Zac Robinson
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jun 25, 2014
Me in the Black Canyon.  Checking out a stopper.
You can (barely) make it to the ground with a 70m rope from.the Gordon's anchors. YOU CANNOT lower after doing the route with a 70m.

Beat wishes. Wear a helmet.

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Jun 26, 2014
Damn it Zac! Both of my 70s come short. Be extra careful if you get off with one rope in one rap. And wear a helmet.

By Josh Triplett
From Bountiful, UT
Jun 26, 2014
When I go up there I think I'll play it safe and rap Perhaps to the ground.

By C. Archibald
Jun 26, 2014
Me on some bolted 10 in boulder canyon
If you do it, swing over to the climber's right, towards green a. And of course, knot the rope!

Hope this dude recovers quickly!

By LCC-Climber
Jun 27, 2014
Any updated info?

By laughingbird
Jun 29, 2014
He is doing well. Banged up bad and some safety issues to think about. Think about it before you move. It really only takes a second.

Be safe!

By LCC-Climber
Jun 30, 2014
Why the vague details? Kinda wondering what happened as that's an area I frequent....