Avy Bag P-Chem

By Buff Johnson
Jan 14, 2013
smiley face

Anyone compare compressed gasses in avy bag performance in the States & Euro? We typically see air here, whereas more nitro use over there; correct or no?

I saw this discussion, but it was more about decision making & gadgetry:
www.mountainproject.com/v/airbags-beacons-and-probesoh-my/10>>>

By CraigS.
Jan 14, 2013

Nitrogen works better in colder temperatures than compressed air is the main difference. Compressed air still has some moisture and other trace gasses which makes it react more drastically to temperature changes. The moisture could also drop out and freeze, but that would have to be a pretty extreme drop in temp.

By mark epstein
Feb 11, 2013

Air is greater than 70% nitrogen, so the point is moot.

By ZackBay
Feb 11, 2013
By Rap Rings

You could probably use the equation PV=nRT to calculate a few test samples if you are really interested. However you will probably need to figure out the partial pressure based on the ratio of gasses combined in the sample.

By Buff Johnson
Feb 11, 2013
smiley face

mark epstein wrote:
Air is greater than 70% nitrogen, so the point is moot.

I'm actually finding that it is not all that moot.

By RockinOut
From NY, NY
Feb 11, 2013
Gear

Theres a huge difference in Nitrogen, CO2 and Air when it comes to cold temp performance in paintball. Nitrogen is the most consistent due to its extremely low moisture content

By ZackBay
Feb 11, 2013
By Rap Rings

If you would like to further investigate and help me design a model I could run the calculation in Gaussian next time I get some free time at school.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Feb 11, 2013

RockinOut wrote:

By RockinOut
From NY, NY
Feb 11, 2013
Gear

NorCalNomad wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but no one fills HPA tanks with nitrogen anymore. And Co2 is actually changing states when it escapes your tank so that's a different problem all together. I would HIGHLY doubt that an airbag system would deploy any fast or more efficiently with compressed pure Nitrogen vs compressed atmosphere.

No bubble to burst here. But HPA is for air....and there are plenty of players and entire teams that use Nitro all the time for paintball, with good reason. Yes CO2 is put in as a liquid...which wouldnt be practical for the avy bag use. I was simply stating that N is way more efficient and reliable at colder temps. (Mark stated "air is 70% N so that point is moot") so I have to agree with Buff in that its not moot. If you fill a tank with N and another tank with Air, at room temperature, and then take it into a cold environment the N will be more reliable and efficient than the air.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Feb 11, 2013

RockinOut wrote:

I'd like to see what teams/ parks/ events are still using Nitrogen. Cause I sure as hell know that PSP, NPPL, and large fields are just using compressed air. Also having the gas regulated 1-3 times before it gets to fire or actuate anything takes the difference between the two and makes it moot in relation to regulator efficiency. BTW I'm not talking out my ass on this, been in PB for over a decade and gun tech'd for a good portion of that.

By mark epstein
Feb 26, 2013

Just interested what your experience with MO Theory is?