Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Average bolt ladder distances?

By jane-gallwey
From Ireland, mostly
May 18, 2010
Terradets, Spain.

Sorry, I know this is a strange and n00by question. Making myself a training tree and want to practice getting fast at average to slightly reachy ladders. Approx how far apart should I put them?
I have a feeling if I just reach up and size it as I go I'll make them way too close and still get all clustered trying to go up real ones quickly.
Cheers,
Jane

By J. Thompson
From denver, co
May 18, 2010
Trundling a death block. Photo by Dan Gambino.

If you make them as far apart as possible, then the shorter ones will seem easy.

josh

By Frank Derabid
May 18, 2010

To find the average space between bolts you should measure all of them and then divide that distance by the number of bolts. This would be a pretty accurate example of the average distance between them.

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
May 18, 2010
Artist Tears P3

Jane,

With practice you will be surprised how you can improve your reach between fixed points. What seems like unreachable at first will become quite casual. If at all possible test on a climbing wall, etc to work out a long reach that will work.

First time I climbed Prodigal Sun I really struggled with the reach, the 2nd time I didn't even notice the reaches. Teeing off and using a fifi can really help. If you get stuck with any of this stuff I can probably show you.

Cheers

john

By Frank Derabid
May 18, 2010

I too found the bolt ladders in Zion to be very far apart. Also Touchstone was like this. I had to get very tall into my aiders to reach each bolt from the last. And I am 5'10"!

By jane-gallwey
From Ireland, mostly
May 18, 2010
Terradets, Spain.

Frank Derabid wrote:

Way to remind me of the math exam I really should be studying for right now...

Thanks John, I'd say I'll just set them up at the awkwardest reach I can currently get between and go from there. Sadly no climbing wall to practice on, hence the tree idea.

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
May 18, 2010
Artist Tears P3

I just measured the ones on my wall. They are at 52 inches apart. I have to top step to reach that. 48 inches would be a good starting point. I'm 5 6.

By jane-gallwey
From Ireland, mostly
May 18, 2010
Terradets, Spain.

Thanks, specially for going to the bother of measuring your wall just to answer my dumb question. I'll defo get cracking on that particular tree project this weekend. Trying to get training for walls in Ireland is a pain, no cracks anywhere handy. Clustered myself in Squamish and Spain on some of the ladders and hoping not to repeat the experience.

By Frank Derabid
May 18, 2010

It is very helpful to stand as tall as one can in the top part of the etrie. By using the fif hook one can lever one's body higher than one could stand without the outward support of the equipment.

By John McNamee
From Littleton, CO
May 18, 2010
Artist Tears P3

for some reason I thought you where in Denver ...

By SAL
From broomdigiddy
May 18, 2010
good times. <br />

Just did desert shield in zion and i was able to skip bolts they were so close. Make em top step. Anything less will come easy for u andu will cruise it!

By jane-gallwey
From Ireland, mostly
May 19, 2010
Terradets, Spain.

John McNamee wrote:
for some reason I thought you where in Denver ... in the dvd Clean Walls (Jeff Lowe and Ron Olvesky) there is a good section on how to Tee off which makes reaching those fixed bits easier.

I'm from Ireland, but I joined MP when I was living in Denver to find partners and such. Now that I've gone home I still kinda hang out here, wishing I still lived in Denver...

By Harry Blackmore
Nov 14, 2010

This is a bit of a stupid question but how are you going to connect them too the tree as i want to do this but dont know how i will do it

By tenesmus
Nov 14, 2010

Put your tree ladder up on lead. After you've done it 50 times, try doing another on lead and then you'll be surprised by how much further apart the bolts are.