Automatically remove a route from your 'To Do' list once it has been added to your 'Tick List'

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Aug 10, 2009
Belay
Would anybody else like to see this? I just noticed that a route can be both 'Ticked' and on your 'To Do' at the same time. It's a pretty minor feature and maybe not worth the time to add in the programming logic, but it would be handy from a housekeeping point of view.

By jcntrl
From Smoulder, CO
Aug 10, 2009
I would actually not like to see this. Sometimes I want to leave a route on my todo list if I want to go back for a redpoint, or to lead it if I followed it, etc. I prefer it the way it is, rather than having to perpetually re-add it onto the list each time if I wasn't able to get the clean ascent that particular day (I still keep track of unsuccessful attempts via the ticklist.)

Just my $0.02

By Monomaniac
From Morrison, CO
Aug 10, 2009
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.

At least some people say in the comments "2 hangs" or whatever.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Aug 10, 2009
OMG, I winz!!!
Monomaniac wrote:
This raises an interesting point that has been gnawing at me for some time, and that is folks "ticking" routes that they didn't send. I guess I'm old-fashioned or something, but where I come from, you haven't ticked a route until you've redpointed/pinkpointed/onsighted it. The term we're looking for is "been on". As in, 'I've been on Dwindling Greenbacks, 5.12e, but I didn't get it clean' At least some people say in the comments "2 hangs" or whatever.

Mono,

I like to be able to tick the routes I've been on even if I didn't send. I'd never remember otherwise. I usually just make a note (top roped, 2 falls, etc) so I know how it went.

By Paul Hunnicutt
From Boulder, CO
Aug 10, 2009
Half Dome
I use the "Tick" feature as more of a journal of my climbing adventures. The whole semantic debate on whether or not you ticked it seems pointless. You can note how you climbed anyways as you record the tick - rp, os, tr, etc...

really though I don't use the To Do list so I have nothing to add unfortunately.

By Monomaniac
From Morrison, CO
Aug 10, 2009
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.
I guess when I don't send I'd rather forget that it ever happened. That way I can try for the onsight again at a later date :)

Did you see my thread about the Leadville 100? Surely you have the answer I'm looking for...

By Mike Pharris
From Longmont, CO
Aug 10, 2009
Climbing above Black Lake
I think it would be a convenient feature. You'll be on the route's page when you click the 'tick' button, so you could easily click the 'to do' button at the same time. And if you made the appropriate note in connection with your 'tick' entry, (i.e. followed, fell at crux, or whatever) it'll be clear to you what your thinking.

By Brad Brandewie
Aug 10, 2009
Maya's first trip to RMNP.
Monomaniac wrote:

My tick list just went from a novella to a list of today's specials. :)

By LeeAB
From ABQ, NM
Aug 10, 2009
Once we landed we headed to Font to find a place to stay for the night before doing a day of wine tasting and heading to Buoux.
Mono likes to think he suffers from CRS (can't remember S**T) though I find this highly unlikely.

One could also expand the "ticked" thing to include, followed, attempted etc. and if you choose redpoint or onsight or whatever it is removed from the todo list otherwise it stays. Of course the there are people that probably don't neccessarily want to lead something and would still have to manually remove it.

By pfwein
Aug 10, 2009
I pretty much agree with MonoM; I'm not quite sure how to handle multipitch routes where you swap leads, the climb has an obvious crux pitch, and you didn't lead it (normal swapping leads gets a tick if I led and followed clean; maybe even a tick if just hung to remove gear seconding or something like that). I make liberal use of the comments section, and may "tick" a long route where I hung (with a comment) where I regard just getting to the top as having some personal significance.
Should go without saying that this only has meaning to me personally and anyone else who may for some crazy reason give a damn about what I've done--I look at this as just a journal/diary for myself.
I guess if were trying lots of routes and not "ticking" (redpointing) them and wanted to keep track of them, I'd have to record it a bit differently. But (again agreeing with MonoM), I usually hope to either get a real "tick" or just put those behind me.
To address the original point of the email, seems like the current format allows users to use "To Do" and tick feature to their own liking, and works fine as is.

By jcntrl
From Smoulder, CO
Aug 10, 2009
What is a "tick"?
What is a "send"?
What is a "widgit?"
Who fucking cares?

Call it whatever you want. Climbing is dangerous and dumb and you will die and guess what, we all play by our own rules and, hopefully with the exception of climber-belayer communication, have our own vernacular too. Hoeley runnedon send tense bat man.

I like it the way it is, that's my vote.

Maybe we shouldn't call it a "tick list", maybe we should call it a "'what the hell did I climb on 14 July 2007?' list." "Climbing log" is probably simpler but infinitely more boring; however it also makes for a good pun.

I also make liberal usage of the comments feature so I can record whether it was an onsight, a redpoint, a flail, or an epic fail.