Are the grades at riverside quarry soft?

By Conor Galvin
May 10, 2014

Does anybody else feel that the grades at riverside quarry run on the easy side? I don't want to be the jerk who tries to downgrade everything, but I just don't believe that I'm as strong as these grades are suggesting.

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
May 10, 2014
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. Whiteny.

Go climb "Agony Arch"

And as far as the new clip ups that are being established... It's modern grading, so yeah. Climb some of the older lines and they'll be more "on par"

By Conor Galvin
May 10, 2014

Ah, that makes more sense now. Agony Arch definitely looks tougher than "House of Pain," which is "12a."

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
May 10, 2014
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

what routes did you climb and what grades do you think they are. Compared to bolted sport routes in yosemite and jtree I would agree they are soft. I've done a good amount of sport routes in red rocks and I think they're usually harder or almost the same when it comes to the 5.10-5.11 range.

What grade do you think House of Pain is? I thought that was up to par, but then again I have a hard time with the upper roof.

By ConradS
May 10, 2014

hahaha oh man seriously dude? A quick look at your posts makes you sound like Goldie Locks. You think routes at New Jack are too hard, then you think routes at the Quarry are soft. Oh and you follow 11c sport, but you can say by LOOKING at a 12a its soft? Get some more climbing under your belt, visit more areas, have fun and dont worry about grades so much.

To answer your question, the grading is on par with other sport climbing areas in socal, as it should be. Most of the route developers and FA have also put up many of the routes and consequently grades around our area.

By Conor Galvin
May 10, 2014

I two-hung "house of pain" for the record, flashed the 11c fourth pitch of American Dream (also at the quarry), but I took like ten falls trying to finish "Life returns" (11a) at new jack city. I'm just saying that I detect some level of inconsistency.

But to be frank, you are correct that I shouldn't worry about grades so much.

By Conor Galvin
May 10, 2014

I was just confused ! :(

By ze_dirtbag
From TBD
May 11, 2014
cottonmouth

evidently the grades aren't as soft as some feelings are....but +1 for f**k grades, go climb goldi locks

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
May 11, 2014
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

FrankPS wrote:
RN, I think he was referring to the OP with his comments. Either way, it seemed unnecessarily ugly.

oops I totally apollogize to Conrad...I somehow read ConradS post and the following post by Conor as all the same person...my mistake. I'll go ahead and delete my post :)

By G Halsne
May 12, 2014

Haha! Yeah, i don't want to fan the flame and sure, don't obsess, but I get it. When your a newer climber you definitely want to know where your at! I feel you Conor, on your question! I have Onsighted plenty of hard(ish) 11s at the Q.. Violator, Flesh and Blood, Nostalgia, but I still cant get the RP on Gun For Hire 11a at NJC!! ( but then again, there are 11bs if OSed at NJC too)... LOL. Oh well! Good luck and climb hard!