Arcteryx harness R275 LT VS Arcteryx R300 Opinions?

By Mark V
Jan 16, 2012

I currently have the Arcteryx R320 harness, no complaints at all. I'm going to get a new harness soon and wanted to get some opinions on these two harnesses. Thanks.

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jan 16, 2012
Pfeifferhorn via North Ridge

From what I understand the 275 is "breathable" and the 300 is supposed to be "comfortable". If you liked the 320 I would just stick with that. IMO the 320 and the 350 are some of the best harness ArcTeryx makes. I have a brand new 320a for sale in Large that I would sell you for $100 shipped. It has a wider frame to it that moves with your body better than previous generations. Only used one in the gym to try out. It didnt fit me.

By Mark V
Jan 16, 2012

Josh, Thanks, but I need a medium. REI has the R300 on sale right now for $110. So, that's the one I'm leaning toward right now.

By Luke Stefurak
From Mountain View, CA
Jan 16, 2012
Below "Inspect Her Gadget" at HP40 after sending it the previous day.

I had the R320 and loved it. When it wore out I got an R300. The waist band is not as good (IMO) but the leg loops are fine. My problem is that I'm on the small side of medium and so the waist band bunches up. I'd love to rock the medium leg loops with a smaller waistband.

I do like the orange gear loops on the R300 since they are fast to find when clipping gear to your harness (following trad climbs).

I also have the new 220 LT. (same leg loops as the 275). It's wicked light but the leg loops are much less comfortable than then the old R320 or the new R300. It's also silly to have only 2 gear loops. At least I got a good deal...

I would suggest getting the R300, or find a old R320 on sale.

- Luke

By Mark V
Jan 17, 2012

Thanks for all the comments. I went ahead and ordered the R300. Sounds like it may or may not work. The 320 leg loop tie in on my current harness wore through to the orange mark in about two years. Seems like you should get more than two years use out of a harness. It looks like that is a known wear problem on the older model. If it wasn't for that, I think I'd probably just buy another 320.

By Eli Harry
Jan 23, 2012
Bad Bannana's

I have a r320a and a b360a. both are awesome harnesses that I absolutely love. I use the B360a on ice and have a size large but wish I had gotten a XL for all the layering. I'm a 34 to 36 inch waist. I don't have trouble with the leg loops, you just gotta wear them low.

Try to keep in mind guys when you return climbing gear (if the retailer allows it) that it ends up getting destroyed and is a total lose for the company.

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Mar 12, 2012
Indian Creek Climbing

What is the fit like on the R320a?

By Daniel Wade
From Chicago, IL.
Mar 12, 2012
w/ Katie Heineman

I also had an R320 and loved it. I retired it for general climbing but I still use it in the gym and for mountaineering. I picked up an R275 LT (they are on sale for $75 at Adventure 16 if you're in southern CA) and like it fine. The sizing in the waist belt was the same but the leg loops are a little bit strange. My girlfriend also recently retired her R280 and picked up an LT and has the same complaint about the fit changes.

By Paul Trendler
From Bend, Oregon
Mar 4, 2013
 VOTCD. Photo  by <a href='http://Tylerroemer.com' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >Tylerroemer.com</a>

@ Daniel Wade:

Do you feel like your leg loops are too big? I used the 350 for a longtime, started climbing in the 275 in the same size this last December. the waist fits perfectly, but I am swimming in the leg loops. So much so that while belaying I have had some pretty uncomfortable catches, i.e., not all my furnature was staying in the same room.

My stats: 6'2"180lbs 32" waist. I wouldn't say I have crazy skinny sport climber legs either.

Anyone else have this issue?