Appendectomy. Effects on climbing?

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
Oct 15, 2011
25' drop...wheeeeee!

So, days before sending my first ever V5 (got all the moves worked out, just gotta put it together) I got appendicitis and had to get an appendectomy today (laparoscopic surgery).

So, my question is has anyone else gotten their appendix out, and if so how long did it take you out of climbing and how much did it set you back due to the cutting of the stomach muscles?

By NEH
Oct 15, 2011

I'm no surgeon, but your question about how long to take off climbing is a good one for the physician who did your operation. I doubt your minimally invasive surgery will set you back long enough for you to forget the beta to your project. Good luck on sending your problem!

By DrApnea
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 15, 2011

shouldn't have much long term effects. lap appy does not cut many abdominal muscles. Basic outline is prep, cut skin, seperate muscle fibers with trochars, remove appendix, sew up. You should feel much better in a couple of days than you did before they took it out. Good luck to recovery, but don't worry about climbing, the muscles will feel better pretty soon.

By Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 15, 2011

It's possible that your appendix was the source of your chi.

If that's the case, you may never boulder V5 again. Otherwise, you should be fine in 2-4 weeks. As others have said, the injury to your abdominal muscles from laparoscopic surgery is minimal.

By Rob Gordon
From Hollywood, CA
Oct 15, 2011
Tough Mantle Problem.  Haven't sent yet...

You can start climbing as soon as you feel up to it. I took about two weeks off after mine but mostly because I had pockets of gas that took a while to go away. Once they went away I felt fine.

By cjdrover
From Somerville, MA
Oct 15, 2011
Taken at MWV Icefest 2014.

Had an appendectomy at the end of February 2010... non laproscopic but a small incision. Went skiing in Tuckermans 17 days later. Give yourself 2 weeks and if it doesn't hurt start some V0's... if all goes well you should be able to send that sucker in a month.

By Rik
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 16, 2011
Skull

I had to take 4 weeks off after mine. I was able to run after 1 week so I got in some extra cross training. Didn't loose much, and the rest time was kind of nice.

By Goran Lynch
From Seattle, WA
Oct 16, 2011

Two words:

Weight loss.

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
Oct 16, 2011
25' drop...wheeeeee!

Tom: Lucky for me I store my Chi along with my extra bile in my gallbladder, so as long as they let me keep that I should be golden.

Rob: The gas pockets are totally the worst part of it for me too.

Goran: I was already at fighting weight (6'2, 170#), not sure I can afford to lose much more.

Everyone else: Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the well wishes. My surgeon said I should be able to start riding my bike again in about 2 weeks, but that he thinks it would be longer before I can start climbing. He didn't really seem to have a good sense of the kinds of demands climbing puts on the body, though, and I think he was mostly guessing which is why I asked here. I figure I can start toproping as soon as I start biking again, and maybe wait another week or 2 before I start bouldering and leading again. I'll report back later with my own experience.

By Goran Lynch
From Seattle, WA
Oct 16, 2011

I meant to say that you'll save some weight, just being appendix-less. I mean, 4.5 grams less? That's like a quarter of a wiregate!

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
Oct 16, 2011
25' drop...wheeeeee!

Then I just blew a golden opportunity! I should have asked if there were any other accessory organs (read: dead weight) they could have taken out while they were in there (not the gallbladder though, that's where my Chi lives).