Anyone ever see a dry treated rope look like this?

By dnoB ekiM
Apr 9, 2012
Wonderstuff
See photo...new rope. Kind of white and waxy/sticky. Sterling 9.8 Velocity.
Dry treatment?
Dry treatment?

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Apr 9, 2012
Myself placing a a blue/yellow offset MC to protec...
Mike Bond wrote:
See photo...new rope. Kind of white and waxy/sticky. Sterling 9.8 Velocity.

looks like you and your new rope had a good time last night!! Just call up sterling if your worried

By dnoB ekiM
Apr 9, 2012
Wonderstuff
rock_fencer wrote:

I knew that comment was comming.

I have emailed Sterling the pic.

By jbird
Apr 9, 2012

By dnoB ekiM
Apr 9, 2012
Wonderstuff
jbird wrote:
Where is the rope stored, and how long has it been there? If it is brand new I would return it, it's just not worth risking. If it were pants or something I would just throw them in the wash- but a rope. . no way. Looking at the picture it looks like mold (or chalk, but I kind of ruled that out), I worked in a shop that kept gear in an old damp basement for ages if inventory wasn't moving. In some cases packaging or product would end up destroyed or defective.

It is in the factory coil still. New. Sterling responded. It is the dry treatment and just an example of it being overly applied and not curing properly before being bagged. They have already offered to replace it for free.

+1 for Sterling's great customer service. I already loved their ropes.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Apr 10, 2012
Bocan
Although you already have your answer I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner. Living in the rockies, all your ropes eventually get some sap on them.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Apr 10, 2012
...

"I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner".

I was unaware that the Dry treatment for ropes was SAP.

By kirra
Apr 10, 2012
if you get stuck -here's .02 for later..

How to Remove Tree Sap from Fur

(or a Fleece Jacket)

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Apr 10, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
Only saps pay extra for dry treatments. What you need is spooge-treated ropes.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Apr 10, 2012
Bocan
Locker wrote:
"I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner". I was unaware that the Dry treatment for ropes was SAP. From now on I am buying NON TREATED ropes and just heading out to the South Platte for a SAP TREATMENT.

"Although you already have your answer I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner".

So I have had ropes that have gotten sap on them, then it turns white when dry and run through a biner or belay device...but PLEASE let me know if your sap treatment idea works. I can stop buying treated ropes. Hate to think this whole time I've been wasting my money.