Home - Destinations - iPhone/Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Anyone else on mp heading to Yosemite for the AAC climbers meetup?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 6 of 7.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By Carol Kotchek
From Louisville, Colorado
Oct 1, 2013
Veedauwoo off width clinic

caksail wrote:
Carol and team... thanks for all the work and creativity you are putting into pulling this off! Found this brilliant poem and thought it fit the situation. Enjoy and see everyone next week for some great climbing somewhere! - Climb on! www.mountaingazette.com/blogs/twas-the-night-before-shutdown>>> - Chris

This poem is good. I'm posting it with a picture of Ed

Edward Abbey
Edward Abbey


A Visit from St. Edward (‘Twas the Night Before Shutdown)
by Doug on October 1, 2013
We received this piece of brilliant verse in our Inbox last night from Nathan Ament with the note: “I work for the National Park Service in Moab and wrote this on my lunch break today…” We hope you are out enjoying yourself, Nathan.


Twas the night before shutdown, and all through the Service,
The rangers and admin were all a bit nervous.
The ‘closed’ signs were ready and plans were well made,
And we wondered if we would continue to be paid.
While Congress debated we all scratched our heads,
Unsure whether we should feel joy or dread.
When out in the parking lot there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my cubicle to see what was the matter.
There on the asphalt, in a truck old and shabby,
All dusty and boozy…it was the ghost of Ed Abbey!
He threw open the truck door, and offered a beer,
And I knew then and there I had nothing to fear.
I said “Where we off to?”
He roared, “God’s country, son!”
No doubt in my mind, twas time for desert fun.
He revved the engine and slammed it in first,
And laughed and grinned and hollered and cursed.
Then he yelled out the window as he cracked a Bud Light,
“Happy shutdown to ALL, and to ALL a good night!!!”


FLAG
By Mark Pilate
Oct 1, 2013

Awesome


FLAG
By Carol Kotchek
From Louisville, Colorado
Oct 1, 2013
Veedauwoo off width clinic

David Sahalie wrote:
So instead of climbing, participants ride around on a bus and take LSD? sounds like a great response to the govt shutdown.


Seems like an appropriate response.


FLAG
By Aaron McDonald
From Santa Cruz, CA
Oct 2, 2013
The Prow

Everyone went silent......


FLAG
By Cor
Oct 2, 2013
black nasty

Stop the silence!

Ok folks… We defiently had a big monkey wrench thrown into our gears!
But it looks like things are shaping up, and coming back together well.

We had to find a whole new agenda. (Cater, camping, climbing, toilet, water supply, etc…)

The good news is the event is on, and we are going to have a great time all together,
despite our rediculous government.

A new cater is going to assist us! They will provide the three catered meals a day!
They also said they would bring water for us, ice, etc.

It looks like a CA AAC rep. is going to secure our camping area, and get port toilets.
He will also bring some extra water jugs, and some coolers, tables, chairs(a few) for us!

It looks like he is also putting together a PDF file of information on climbing, and maps of the area (East side of the Sierra - near Bishop CA.)

Keep an eye out for an email with more details from Carol sometime tomorrow.

WooHoo, let's go have some fun!

Cory

PS: my email is (coryfleagle @ yahoo . com) if you need to reach me.


FLAG
By David Gibbs
From Ottawa, On
Oct 3, 2013

@Cor:

That sounds awesome!


FLAG
By Tim Jones
Oct 3, 2013

Cor wrote:
Stop the silence! Ok folks… We defiently had a big monkey wrench thrown into our gears! But it looks like things are shaping up, and coming back together well. We had to find a whole new agenda. (Cater, camping, climbing, toilet, water supply, etc…) The good news is the event is on, and we are going to have a great time all together, despite our rediculous government. A new cater is going to assist us! They will provide the three catered meals a day! They also said they would bring water for us, ice, etc. It looks like a CA AAC rep. is going to secure our camping area, and get port toilets. He will also bring some extra water jugs, and some coolers, tables, chairs(a few) for us! It looks like he is also putting together a PDF file of information on climbing, and maps of the area (East side of the Sierra - near Bishop CA.) Keep an eye out for an email with more details from Carol sometime tomorrow. WooHoo, let's go have some fun! Cory PS: my email is (coryfleagle @ yahoo . com) if you need to reach me.


Hi Cory

Thanks for the info.

I'm due for to start packing for my flight in about 8 hours. Any chance of few hints on whether or not it is necessary to pack different kit for the Bishop area?

Any hints on what sort of climbing we can expect? When I think of Bishop, I think of bouldering ;(

Regards

Tim


FLAG
By Liz Donley
From Boulder, CO
Oct 3, 2013
Soloing upper Kiener's

Thanks Carol and Cory for the extra scrambling to transform the event! I am still excited about the trip. I've never been to Bishop and I've heard awesome things about it for years.

Tim: check out the mountain project's descriptions of the Owens River Gorge and Pine Creek -- sport climbing and long granite cracks. They are both in the Bishop area listed under Sierra Eastside. I think that we will take the same gear that we were planning to take to the valley. One of our crash pads folds up like a suitcase, too, so we might bring that for the Buttermilks. ;-)

One thing extra that I will bring is a swim suit and a towel. There are supposedly some very nice hot springs in the area. :-D


FLAG
By Kurtz
Oct 3, 2013
Mr. P. Marten

I see that one can drive to Bishop via Tuolumne. It would be a real shame if one (or more) of the buses broke down for a few hours.


FLAG
By Cor
Oct 3, 2013
black nasty

Yep, same kit of gear...

Liz is right about the climbing. It's not.just bouldering. Maybe we can do it all.
A day of sport, days of trad, and a day of bouldering.

Remember, this is planB, and we are going to have to go with the flow a bit, as we had everything lined up for another location.
But now that we have a cater, etc. I think we are going to have a blast, although your valley host climbers may not know much about these areas vs the valley. It could be a full onsite! (or is that a fool on site?) ;)

Don't worry about that funny bus! We will still have good rental vans, and will still meet at the Sacramento airport. Or if you are driving over yourself from somewhere in CA, Carol should have more info in the email that is coming out sometime today...

If you are driving yourself, one thing that could be useful to bring would be any large (5+gal) water jugs. We probably have it under control, but it can't hurt to have extra.

Guess that's it for now. Time for some coffee!
C


FLAG
By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Oct 3, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

I was planning on driving from the airport. Will there be a place to park for anyone driving? Also, how far will campsites be from the parking area? Just figuring out which to pick, the comfy gear or the light gear (tent in particular).

Also, I am guessing I should add QDs to my pack, looking at what is out there. Did I guess right?

Edit: Also, how could I forget to say THANK YOU! Thank you for scrambling around and finding a set-up for 50+ people with no notice at a time there are a ton of other displaced climbers looking for new digs. Thank you for fighting to keep the psych high. Thank you for all the communications (great bus photo). Seriously, above and beyond!

Edit Edit as I was writing my post the same time Cor was writing his: I will pack QDs and extra water for sure!


FLAG
By Tim Jones
Oct 3, 2013

Cor wrote:
Yep, same kit of gear... Liz is right about the climbing. It's not.just bouldering. Maybe we can do it all. A day of sport, days of trad, and a day of bouldering. Remember, this is planB, and we are going to have to go with the flow a bit, as we had everything lined up for another location. But now that we have a cater, etc. I think we are going to have a blast, although your valley host climbers may not know much about these areas vs the valley. It could be a full onsite! (or is that a fool on site?) ;) Don't worry about that funny bus! We will still have good rental vans, and will still meet at the Sacramento airport. Or if you are driving over yourself from somewhere in CA, Carol should have more info in the email that is coming out sometime today... If you are driving yourself, one thing that could be useful to bring would be any large (5+gal) water jugs. We probably have it under control, but it can't hurt to have extra. Guess that's it for now. Time for some coffee! C


Thanks Cor and thanks to everyone who is striving to make this work. I'm sure that we will alll have a great time once we get to whereever we are heading, as long as there is climbing it will be grand :)

Cheers

Tim


FLAG
By Cor
Oct 3, 2013
black nasty

Alicia, It is my understanding that we are camping in a bit of a high desert type area.
(Although the actual site is not totally confirmed as of yet..) Our CA rep is to get there Friday night, and secure a spot for us by Saturday. From what I know it is all open country BLM land that is NOT gated or anything.

We should be camping near our cars/vans just like in Yosemite. I think you should be ok on comfort stuff. Especially if you are driving (not riding in a van)

I will keep you all up to date as I find things out myself.

Thanks again for the thanks! It is a bit of a scramble, but I like the way it is looking!!

As a host climber that knows nothing about this new area we are going to…
I pledge to get us up whatever routes you want (no R or X rated please!)

Looks like we will be doing an onsite climbing clinic. ;D

Thanks for keeping on the positive side & being psyched folks! I am too!

C

PS: We might be short on camp chairs since we won't have the valley picnic tables lined up.
Don't forget to bring a crazy creek thing if you have it.


FLAG
By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Oct 3, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

Cor wrote:
As a host climber that knows nothing about this new area we are going to… I pledge to get us up whatever routes you want (no R or X rated please!) Looks like we will be doing an onsite climbing clinic. ;D


No joke, getting better at leading is number one on my list, so I couldn't imagine a better clinic!!!!!! (that no R/X rule goes both ways, buddy!)


FLAG
By Aaron McDonald
From Santa Cruz, CA
Oct 3, 2013
The Prow

No R\X? But I have a climbing condition and need a refill!


FLAG
By Aaron McDonald
From Santa Cruz, CA
Oct 3, 2013
The Prow

Thank you Carol for putting this together. This is going to be a blast! So much good climbing in the Sierra's how can we go wrong?

I am driving from Santa Cruz, CA. I have room if anyone cares to carpool from the Bay Area.


FLAG
By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Oct 3, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

I have always kind of had my eye on Russell. Looks like a short-ish drive away. Just in case it tempts me, any access problems as a result of the closure?


FLAG
By phil broscovak
Oct 3, 2013
Dreamin' Dawg

Carol is my housemate and I have to tell you all she has been busting her tail over the Shut Down and last minute rearrangements required. It is remarkable what she and her supporters like Cory "HardCor" Fleagle have been able to do. Carol deserves a lot of kudos and credit.


FLAG
By Michael Hong
From Brooklyn, NY
Oct 3, 2013
how does this camera work?

Awesome hustle to get Plan B in place Carol & Crew! Someone should definitely be documenting this... sounds like great material for a dirtbag diaries episode haha! Nothing like a wrench in the works to dial up the adventure~


FLAG
By Kurtz
Oct 3, 2013
Mr. P. Marten

ICM: I want it. I want it. I want it.

NPS: You caaaaaan't have it!

Oh, yeah. This is gonna be epic.



Magic Bus
Magic Bus


Plan B looks great! Rock on, Carol!


FLAG
By Aaron McDonald
From Santa Cruz, CA
Oct 3, 2013
The Prow

And here is our new host for the Plan B Magic Trip.


FLAG
By Kurtz
Oct 3, 2013
Mr. P. Marten

Ha! Aaron, where'd you get my real picture?

Tip #1: Mark your gear now! It'll save a lot of time later. I use nail polish which works better for me than tape or etching.

Tip #2: Since Mr. Murphy is evidently already on the bus, lay out your gear and take a few pictures just in case your luggage goes missing. Leave copies of the pics at home.


FLAG
By Aaron McDonald
From Santa Cruz, CA
Oct 3, 2013
The Prow

Eastern Sierra eh? May do a little diversion to 3rd Pillar of Dana on the way?


FLAG
By David Gibbs
From Ottawa, On
Oct 4, 2013

Already down in California, climbing at Lover's Leap the last couple days, so won't be able to add QDs to my packing list. May have to borrow from others. :) Was going to be warm-up for the Valley, guess it is still warm up. :)

Did Surrealistic Pillar to Corrugation Corner link-up today. Was awesome climbing. Psyched for next week, too!

Thanks, Carol, for all the scrambling to make this work.


FLAG
By Kurtz
Oct 4, 2013
Mr. P. Marten

Interesting reading:
Occupy Yosemite Protest Scheduled for Friday


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 6 of 7.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7   Next>   Last>>