Anyone else on mp heading to Yosemite for the AAC climbers meetup?
   Page 1 of 7.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Sep 3, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

It's only about a month away. Just wondering who might be showing up.

By Cor
Sep 4, 2013
black nasty

Looking forward (Go away fire!) to a lovely October stay in the Valley!

3 catered meals, camping right under the Sentinel, awesome people, awesome climbs!

Alicia, I am a host climber (3rd year now.)
Have you been there before?
Any special routes you are looking to get on?

Cheers,
Cory

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Sep 4, 2013

Alicia,

I'm going to be out there the week before and staying in the Valley. So if you are out there early and want to climb let me know.

Brian

By Cor
Sep 4, 2013
black nasty

Here is a nice article that Julie Ellison wrote about last years event:

here

By Xam
From Boulder, Co
Sep 4, 2013

I will be there...look for the guy begging cory to drag him up stuff. See you there.

By Cor
Sep 4, 2013
black nasty

YEAH! Let's go have some fun. It will be a great time with everyone.

Not sure, but we will probably start our first day cragging to break the ice for everyone.
This way people get to really meet each other, and see some climbing abilities.
Then people either team up with other participants, or host climbers the rest of the trip.

Some folks just single pitch everyday, some go big. Either way, it's excellent climbing!

Last year some of the longer routes done were:
East Butt of ElCap
Higher Cathedral Spire
Higher Cathedral Rock
Royal Arches (Which was done with many teams of 2, then all coming down together.)

Here is a small thingy I put on my blog about last years event.
It is mostly pictures, as I am a better photographer than writer...

Direct link to this post

By Mike Grainger
From Waterloo, ON Canada
Sep 5, 2013

Hey Cory, great to hear you will be hosting again this year. I'll be back - hoping for more great climbing, but I won't mind it if I miss out on the kind of Type 2 fun we had on that night time North Dome Gully descent from Royal Arches. Looking forward to meeting more great people from around the world.

Mike

By Cor
Sep 5, 2013
black nasty

Psyched you will be back Mike! :D

Here is a few more images from last years event.

OW Type2 FUN!
OW Type2 FUN!

Arsenault following up Higher Cathedral Rock.  (Best Grave 4 in Valley?)
Arsenault following up Higher Cathedral Rock. (Best Grave 4 in Valley?)

Awesome cragging day!
Awesome cragging day!

Higher Cathedral Spire
Higher Cathedral Spire

Try not to get too excited for the Valley!
Try not to get too excited for the Valley!

Pitch 1&2 on Central Pillar of Frenzy.  AWESOME, and varied 5 pitch 5.9+
Pitch 1&2 on Central Pillar of Frenzy. AWESOME, and varied 5 pitch 5.9+

By Mike Grainger
From Waterloo, ON Canada
Sep 5, 2013

I think that's me struggling in the OW, and I remember that fun undercling roof traverse at Pat and Jack. Great pics!

By trese
From Boulder and Innsbruck, Austria
Sep 5, 2013
Tyrol

Yay Cor!

We are going too - can't wait - hope we are not bringing shame upon Austria ;)

By Cor
Sep 5, 2013
black nasty

I put that photo on the line up first... just for you Mike!

By Matt Scheidt
From Washington
Sep 6, 2013
f

Cor wrote:
Psyched you will be back Mike! :D Here is a few more images from last years event.

That's my buddy pete in the photo doing the roof traverse, we are heading down there in a few weeks for my first visit to the valley. wahooo!

By David Gibbs
From Ottawa, ON
Sep 7, 2013

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:
It's only about a month away. Just wondering who might be showing up.

I'm not sure I really qualify as "on mp", but I am heading to the meetup. It looks to be a great time.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Sep 8, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

Anyone who checks the forum enough to see the thread is on mp in my book! Wow, I am even more excited after seeing the pictures. I am not going with a specific agenda. I am really hoping just to meet some open, safe climbers who are up for a little adventure and a lot of fun!

By David Gibbs
From Ottawa, ON
Sep 9, 2013

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

I'm looking at it the same way -- a chance to climb in Yosemite, rather than any particular goals for Yosemite. And a chance to meet some cool climbers, and maybe make contacts so that I might have people to climb with if I visit other places.

By Rob Dillon
Sep 9, 2013

RIDE OFFERED

Colorado (Leadville) to Sierra East Side (Mammoth).

21 Sept.

PM me if you're interested.

By Cor
Sep 9, 2013
black nasty

Here is a few photos from the 2011 ICM

No need to climb multi pitch to have fun..
No need to climb multi pitch to have fun..

The cragging is awesome!
The cragging is awesome!

Wide cracks are fun too!
Wide cracks are fun too!

Awesome 5.9 dual cracks!
Awesome 5.9 dual cracks!

The all classic 5.6 Grack, Glacier Point Apron
The all classic 5.6 Grack, Glacier Point Apron

Lower & Higher Cathedral Spires, Higher Cathedral Rock, and Middle Cathedral Rock

The Nose, from the East Butt of ElCap
The Nose, from the East Butt of ElCap

Mark Soot cruses the East Butt. of ElCap 5.10,    (Aprox. 10-12  pitches long)
Mark Soot cruses the East Butt. of ElCap 5.10, (Aprox. 10-12 pitches long)

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Sep 9, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

These photos have me itching to get on that plane!!!!

How much gear would you recommend I bring? I have been going back and forth on whether to bring my full rack as I'm not sure how much leading I'll do. I am planning on bringing standard personal gear, ascenders and such just in case I join up on something bigger and need to jug and pulleys for hauling (once again just in case and because they weigh very little, but help a lot).

Also, what do you think the temperatures will be like? How heavy a bag are you thinking? Any clothing recommendations? Anything I will wish I brought along that is non-obvious?

By Cor
Sep 9, 2013
black nasty

Hey Alicia,

For gear & clothing:

- A standard (Double if you can) rack is good, and a single (60 or 70m) rope.

I think this is what most people bring. I would not worry about ascenders, pulleys, etc.
Just bring your usual cragging rack. Usually everyone is free climbing and not aiding.
Even if you did a long day route/wall it is easy enough to carry everything. Not really a need to "haul" stuff. (Maybe a small pack if you like for climbing a long route...)

Racks & ropes tend to get shared at the days of cragging. Then when people team up for longer routes, they just figure out the setup for the route they are doing.

- Clothing is a tough one. Bring a bit of everything.
It will be as hot at 90F deg. during the day, and as low as 40s .
The Valley does get some freak (rare) storms at this time of year, so snow IS possible.
It has never snowed while I have been there though.
Good climbing shorts, pants, shirts.
Light under layers for legs and top can be good. As well as a light winter hat.
(I am saying this, and it will probably be 90 out, but who knows..)
A light puffy coat for evenings around the camp fire is nice (if you run on the cool side.)
Rain shell (a light one to carry on a climb perhaps.)
Also nice to have flip-flops/crocs and a pair of sneakers. (I like cozy shoes after a long day!)

-Sleeping bag can just be a 3 season whatever.

The Valley does have a full service climbing/outdoor type shop.
I bring climbing tape. You could buy it there too if weight is issue.
Same goes for bars, etc.

I will say, there is really no need to bring bars or climbing food.
With our three catered meals is a very hefty bagged lunch with a sandwich,
fruit, snacks, etc. It is usually hard to finish it all each day. Breakfasts and dinners
are pretty big, and you can go back for seconds.

Also in the Valley is small grocery & beers.

(We will stop on the drive in to get some beers, as it is cheaper to buy outside the Valley.)

There is showers available at Curry Village. It is(was?) $5 per shower, and they give you
a towel each time. You can shower for how ever long you like! Always hot!

Hope that helps a bit. Feel free to ask any other questions that may come up.

Cheers,
Cory

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Sep 9, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

This is super useful information. I am almost always cold, so the 0 bag and down are coming along.

Do people generally do single day climbs only? I am more than happy if so, just wondering.

By Cor
Sep 10, 2013
black nasty

Well Alicia,

This event is free form...(In a way.) So yes, days out at various areas, and back to camp in the evening.

Our camp is located in the middle of the Valley. It is not a regular spot. These camping sites are quite large, and are for groups/events only. The nice thing about this is that it is pretty damn quiet for the Valley!

Three catered (big & yummy) meals per day. You could do a multi day wall, but your partner might want to bail for dinner & desert! ;)

People do go out for some long day climbs, and are late (for dinner) We can make sure to set some aside if we know what you are up to!

The only routes that take longer than a day in Yosemite (more or less) are the big walls, mostly with aid climbing on them.

For a big climbs like The East Butt of ElCap, Higher & Lower Cathedral Spires, Royal Arches, etc.. are just a long day. With an extra early start you should be (more or less) fine for getting back to a lovely hot meal, and campfire beer drinking (or wine, or scotch..)

C

By caksail
From Boulder
Sep 10, 2013

I am also attending and this is great info! Would love to have a list of people attending so we can connect with them before hand or even in the airport, etc. Thanks for posting this!

By Cor
Sep 10, 2013
black nasty

Caksail,

I was in a meeting last evening with the other main organizer, and we are working on it.

We debated the thought of where to have the discussion... But since this is here already, and people like MountainProject we thought it would be good.

Hopefully soon the office (AAC) will send out a mass email to all participants with links to MountainProject, to this thread, and to the Yosemite route database on here.

That should be good for people from all over. Easy platform to use, and not everyone is on Facebook, etc.

C

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Sep 10, 2013
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

Cor,

Long day climbs sound great. I certainly won't complain about hot meals every night! I was just confirming that was the norm, and my aid stuff can stay home. A little over 3 weeks left. It's going to be amazing!

By Mike Grainger
From Waterloo, ON Canada
Sep 10, 2013

Will anyone else be in California a bit ahead of the ICM? I will be in the Bay area starting Friday Sept 27, and would like to partner with someone for that weekend. I'll have a rental car and full gear. We could do day trips around the Bay area, or do a weekend road trip. I'm up for pretty well anything, trad, sport, top roping or bouldering, as long as it's fun! I lead sport to 5.10, well protected trad to 5.8.

By Cor
Sep 11, 2013
black nasty

Also I had forgot to mention. . .

Other important items to bring:

- Plate, or bowl for eating.
- Spoon / fork.