Anyone else losing weight?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By Charles Kinbote
From Brooklyn, NY
Feb 10, 2014
On Waimea, 5.10d
Long story short, I got a new job last May and got fat. I've been gradually losing the pudge since December. 10 pounds down, 15 to go. It's coming off consistently, but the daily grind is starting to get to me. Anyone else out there grinding it out and losing that beer belly and love handles? This ish is gross.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Feb 10, 2014
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Dude, I went plant-based whole foods diet like a month ago just for shits and giggles and I have lost 7 lbs with no change in routine. Haven't had much trouble adjusting, but then again I was never really a chow hound. I'm 6'2" and right at 190. My best performance weight is around the 175 to 180 range which is where I was at in October just before I had knee surgery. So like you, I'm about halfway there. Hang in there and keep in mind that the belly and love handles will be the last thing to go so don't get discouraged.

By Sys Ex
From Lake Forest, CA
Feb 10, 2014
Running 20-40m daily will melt that fat away. Diet is key though. Caloric deficit, nutrition, physical activity. Cardio being the best.

Sounds like you're getting bored with your routine, so perhaps change it up a bit. If you can't then just be patient as it appears what you're doing is working, anyway.

By Charles Kinbote
From Brooklyn, NY
Feb 10, 2014
On Waimea, 5.10d
Jake - I'm eating tons of veggies. Crushing raw broccoli and carrots by the fistfull. Great way to fill up without a lot of calories. Just can't escape the fact that when ya eat at a caloric deficit, yer gonna be a little hungry sometimes.

Sys - I enjoy road cycling, and I know it would drastically speed up the process, but the weather has been friggin' awful this winter. The roads are covered in snow, ice, and salt. And I don't want to pony up the money for an indoor trainer.

Just gotta be patient I suppose.

By Jon Frisby
From New York, NY
Feb 10, 2014
I've dropped from 190 to 170-172. trying to get to 165. I've just been doing the caloric deficit + climbing a lot thing. For some reason, I still can't get my legs to shrink :( and that last little bit of belly pudge is sooooooo resistant

By Marek Sapkovski
Feb 10, 2014
My weight goals are fairly modest, I need to lose 10 pounds back to 137. The very last bits are so hard to get rid of, though, literally need to starve myself to get there and get real unhappy. Don't know, maybe I should start smoking cigarettes to suppress appetite.

By Ari Kantola
From Raleigh, NC
Feb 11, 2014
If you are 147, Marek, and worried about losing ten pounds, than you should DEF start smoking cigarettes.

Oh, I broke my ankle years ago playing soccer, and went from 170 to 195. After trying everything, I started going on 4-8 hour hikes. Started shedding weight quick with the sustained, low heart rate cardio

By Dobson
From Butte, MT
Feb 11, 2014
Have any of you tried just alpine climbing? I'm actively trying NOT to lose weight, but alpine keeps messing with my efforts.

By Dustin Drake
Feb 11, 2014
I'm currently grinding as well. It's not fun, especially as someone who likes to eat and lift weights. It just comes down to being patient and willingness to suffer for an extended period of time. Just gotta suck it up and stay committed.

By koreo
From Denver, CO
Feb 11, 2014
sloping <br />
I'm the anti-climber as far as losing weight is concerned. Put on some lean mass and the fat will fall.

By Marek Sapkovski
Ari Kantola wrote:
If you are 147, Marek, and worried about losing ten pounds

I know it sounds like a joke. Getting your weight down is the easiest way to get your grip to weight up. My peak climbing weight was 130 (59kg) and I am 5'10" (179cm), but I doubt I can ever get there again.

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Jake Jones wrote:

Could you describe your routine a little more? Did you become a vegetarian?

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Feb 13, 2014
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Optimistic wrote:
Could you describe your routine a little more? Did you become a vegetarian? Similar issue for me, knee problems (patello-femoral syndrome in my case) totally derailed my cardio, and on went the pounds.

Sure! I eat mostly plants and grains and legumes and nuts. No meat. Everything I consume is in or as close to its natural state that it can be.

Here's what I've had so far today:

Breakfast: Oatmeal (NOT instant) with agave and raisins.

Snack: Banana,
Lunch: Homemade salad- Baby spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, olives, raw broccoli, and some couscous and chopped dates mixed in with this vegan italian dressing- awesome.

Snack: Handful of almonds, tangerine

Dinner: Idk yet. Probably some kind of bean salad or leftover curry lentil soup.

So yeah, basically vegetarian, only I don't eat any chicken or fish.

Look up "plant-based whole food diet" and you'll find plenty of info on it.

There are a few concerns like iron absorption- There's plenty of iron in vegetables it just doesn't absorb as readily as the iron found in meat. So when I eat foods high in iron like spinach, I try to eat something with vitamin C in it (anything citrus) shortly thereafter because Vitamin C aids in iron absorption.

Other than that, the biggest hurdle I've found is that it takes more time and effort (which is debateable depending on who you talk to) and it's more difficult to maintain variety.

But it seems to be going well so far, and I have a wife that's psyched on it too, which helps a ton.

I definitely feel better, and I still eat just as much. Not for everyone, but I'll probably keep doing it until I have a good reason not to, as my results so far have been positive.

By Eric G.
Marek Sapkovski wrote:

Do you think that's a healthy goal?

By Hobo
From Kentucky
Patio Roof
Have you guys tried throwing up?

By doligo
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style
Charles Kinbote wrote:

You can sometimes score a good deal on the trainers on CL - they make awful noise and NYC apt sizes don't help I suppose. I had scored a nice Cyclops one for $50 when I lived there. They are extremely boring though, so make sure you get endless recordings of Tour de France or something like that...

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro
Charles Kinbote wrote:
I enjoy road cycling, and I know it would drastically speed up the process, but the weather has been friggin' awful this winter. The roads are covered in snow, ice, and salt. And I don't want to pony up the money for an indoor trainer. Just gotta be patient I suppose.

You need to find something to do durin the winter months, or else you'll gain weight every winter, job or no job. If your body gets accustommed to burning a certain amount of calories and then you decrease activity, there is only one thing that is sure to happen, you're gonna gain weight. Maybe CX? That's what all the cyclists do aroun here in winter. Although we don't have snow covered roads... I think it's just an excuse to get another bike.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro
Hobo wrote:
Have you guys tried throwing up?

That's not funny.

By The Call Of K2 Lou
From Squamish, BC
Feb 13, 2014
A reasonable likeness of this user.
I'm getting back in shape after injuries to shoulder, ribs, ankles and heels last October. I had lost 20 pounds last summer but put 10 back on over Christmas (I knew I'd be on the fitness plan as soon as I was healed, so I figured what the hell). Been at it about 3 weeks, lots of hiking up hills, easy bouldering, and starting to add some running and weight training.
As for diet, I usually eat fairly healthy, and in the past 6 months I've phased out the really unhealthy facets of my diet (drive-thru type stuff). I've also started counting calories to pinpoint where improvements could be made.

By kenr
Charles Kinbote wrote:

I think that philosophy of high-volume low-calorie food is good. How about some more variety -- different kinds of vegetables, different mixes, experiment with different spices.

In the last couple of months, I had to lose some weight after I over-gained, after I needed to build muscle-mass after an injury. At first it wasn't getting anywhere, but then I got serious.

Counting:
Fundamentally, losing weight is a numbers game. So if you're truly serious then you have to count (approximately): calories eaten, calories burned in basal metabolism, calories expended through incidental fidgeting and getting around in daily life, calories expended in explicit exercise.
The exception I make is that I don't count any calories from true vegetables (Note that potato + corn are not vegetables). Otherwise ...
I do count all the calories from healthy foods. Otherwise it's easy to overdo it on healthy food. Losing weight is not much about unhealthy versus healthy, bad food versus good food -- it's mainly about finding excuses to eat less food.

When the roads are bad for cycling, snowshoeing (actually often people use micro-spikes for hardpack trail conditions) or cross-country skiing can be a good alternative.
-> But really cardio doesn't burn so many calories. I think it has a more important purpose ... to distract you from eating. So the key is not to be sipping energy drinks or munching bars or goos all the time while you're doing it.

A trick to teach your body fat-burning is to exercise on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.

Ken

By Marek Sapkovski
The Cowardly Noob wrote:
Do you think that's a healthy goal?

Climbing is not really a healthy sport :) An anorexic has a much better chance at the crag then a fitness model.

When I was climbing harder, I'd actually try to cycle my weight depending on the stage of the training cycle. When training endurance or power, I would eat more and gain a few kilos, but by the time to send my project, I'd be as thin as I could be.

Hobo wrote:
Have you guys tried throwing up?

All the time. My favourite past time.

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Summit of Rainier.
I like to think that the blubber I've strategically placed on my body this holiday season is like a built in weight vest. It's so hard to eat healthy for me. Put down the double cheese burger and walk away...

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
At the BRC
I found the book "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald (recommended by Dave MacLeod) pretty helpful.

I can't bring myself to count calories, so focus on daily weigh-ins and making a point of simply eating my usual diet, but less of it when trying to lose weight.

It is hard to get down the last 5 pounds and stay there.

I also liked a suggestion from a different thread, to have a panic weight, and if you hit that on the way up, to do whatever to get back below it.

PS Kenr, welcome back. Not a serious injury I hope?

By gblauer
From Wayne, PA
Feb 13, 2014
After being vegetarian for 43 years, I converted to an all raw, vegan diet last March 2013. I have lost 8 pounds, trying to lose another 8 so I can get to 100 pounds. Damn, that last 8 is killing me. I don't limit what I eat, but, I think if I want to get to 100, I am going to have to cut down on the nuts and dried fruit.

I think being lighter takes the sress off my joints and makes the overhangs that much easier.

By Scott Phil
From NC
Feb 13, 2014
The simple and sad truth:

If you really want to lose a beer belly . . .

stop drinking beer.

Seriously, beverages--whether alcohol or sodas--are the main source of empty calories for most of us.

By Jon Frisby
From New York, NY
Mike Belu wrote:

Yeah, when I started dropping weight, things felt so much easier from building a power base at a higher weight. Silver lining I guess

By the way, I'm Indianapolis born and raised (all but the last 2 years) - good seeing other Indy climbers getting out there.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>