Anyone around Denver, CO wanna teach me to lead?

By Christina Gustavson
From Denver, CO
Jun 3, 2012
Pretty excited about this picture. :)

Who wants to teach me how to lead? I am available Monday, June 4 or the following weekend! I've only ever top roped before but I'd love to try leading on some 5.6-5.7s. I have my own harness and a couple new draws! If you're down please shoot me a message at cegus87@gmail.com.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Jun 3, 2012
Stabby

We developed the Training Grounds exactly for this sort of thing. But what you really need to learn first is how to safely thread the rope through the anchors and get down.

By Megan C.B.
Jun 17, 2013
me climbing @ the BRC

Super late on responding I realize, but have you thought about using an auto belay to learn to lead climb? That way once you have an idea of what you're doing, you can safely practice in an indoor setting until you've mastered the techniques!

My company is doing a big project to showcase how useful an auto belay can be in your training, whether you're brand new to climbing or reaching for those 5.13s, or learning to lead. I highly recommend checking out the website - reachyourpeak.autobelay.com - hopefully you'll find a few useful tips!

By Jon Powell
From LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA
Jun 18, 2013
stone depot

I agree with Mike. Leading is only half the battle. make sure you know what type of anchors will be at the top. Secondly make sure your efficient in cleaning the anchor and getting down. Is better to not lower off the anchor and some times you cant if its just hangers. Make sure you have everything you will need like a atc, personal anchor like a daisy chain, extra bale biner, a auto block or make sure your belayer knows how to do a fireman's belay. Also I noticed you mentioned you have a couple of draws. Study the routes and make sure you have enough for all the bolts plus the anchors and then bring 2 more just to be on the safe side. Most importantly make sure your belayer is comfortable lead belaying. totally different from toprope belay. i would recommend practicing on the ground or in the climbing gym but you can find some pretty good videos on cleaning anchors on youtube. Good luck and be safe

By Jon Powell
From LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA
Jun 18, 2013
stone depot

By Tom-o Sapien
Jul 6, 2013
Conky and I confront Patrick Swayze

Jon Powell wrote:

This method has been frowned upon for quite some time.

By Jon Powell
From LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA
Jul 9, 2013
stone depot

Tom-o Erectus wrote:
Jon your suggestions are spot on with the exception of daisy chain as a personal anchor. This method has been frowned upon for quite some time. Consider using a PAS or girth hitch a sewn piece of webbing with a locking biner to your harness.

Thanks Tom. After watching the video link I will definitely be changing to some other type of personal anchor.

By Kelly P
Jul 20, 2013

I would take a class at your local gym. Start indoors, practice clipping cleanly, safely and efficiently. Practice FALLING because lets be honest, that's the scariest part. Then learn the nitty gritty about outdoors like previous posters mentioned. Anchors are a big deal, as is knowing how you are getting off the route. Take more draws than you think you'll need. Tie a knot at the end of your rope.