Anybody used the Arcteryx I-340a harness?

By Paul-B
Feb 2, 2013
Flakes of Wrath

Looking for a new harness for trad and ice. Probably going to go with the Petzl Corax/Adjama or maybe the BD Aspect, however I've heard Arcteryx harnesses are extremely confortable, and the 340a has 14 ice clipper spots! While there is no chance I would ever need that many, it does mean I have plenty of choices where to put my clippers, in the most convient place for me. It is a bit pricey. Anybody used it and have feedback?

By matt davies
Feb 2, 2013

A guy I climb with has that harness, and says the ice clippers are really floppy. Petzl harnesses are awesome (and designed for Caritools), I rocked the Corax for trad and ice until I ate my way out of the small. I'd say save the dough, unless you're going super-light alpine style, and go with the Petzl.

By ClimbingOn
Feb 3, 2013

I own the I-340a. I'm actually a bit disappointed with it. Sure it has a ton of ice clipper slots, but they are spaced horribly. They are all toward the front of the harness, and really only comfortably work with one per side. The tail of the buckle loop has nowhere to go, so it just gets tucked inside the waistband (very poor design). On the plus side, it is light, comfortable, and does hold the ice clippers very securely. I used it briefly for trad, but am not a huge fan of the gear loops. It is my dedicated ice harness, but there is definitely room for improvement.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Feb 3, 2013
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

I've been happy with it. I like the gear loops. The ice clipper slots are solid, but it could use a couple further back on the harness. Still, you only need so many. It's very comfortable and lightweight. You can easily hang out in it for a while.

By Yotsuba
Feb 5, 2013

Just thought I'd drop a line here.

I've owned this harness for about 2years, can't say I'm very stoked about it.

Pros:
+ very light
+ super packable, saves a ton of pack space.
+ removable plastic gear loops to make wearing a pack more comfortable with it on

Cons:
- I personally do not find this harness very comfortable. With ice clippers attached, you can feel them digging into your sides as you hang on it. Probably due to the fact that the harness is really thin. I never liked the feel of Arcteryx harnesses though, always felt like tourniquets to me.
- The ice clippers are really flimsy and are placed in poor areas. When the clippers are weighted, they tend to slide down and hang awkwardly (especially true with BD clippers, Petzl ones sit more nicely because of the clip restriction). If they had provided a gap between gear loops for the clippers, that would have been nice. Extended use causes the loops to loosen up and grip less efficiently
- leg loop clips are VERY small and hard to un-clip and clip, even without gloves.

Just my 2cents, wouldn't buy the harness again.

By Kilroywashere!
From Harrisonburg, Virginia
Feb 6, 2013
Kilroy

just call up misty mountain and have them put the clipper slots wherever the hell you want them...14 slots is ridiculous, and from the sounds of it, they're damn near useless.

By Paul-B
Feb 6, 2013
Flakes of Wrath

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like at best it's not worth the extra money to shell out for the arcteryx. Might check out misty mountain, never seen one of their harnesses, but people on MP seem to rave about them.

By divnamite
From New York, NY
Feb 6, 2013

Does MM use any other material than Nylon and foam? I like my MM harness but I hate it on ice because it gets soaking wet because nylon absorb shit ton of water.

By Kilroywashere!
From Harrisonburg, Virginia
Feb 6, 2013
Kilroy

div, call them up and ask them, seems to be the best way to figure things out with them. they could probably figure something out for you, they are THAT good.