Any sport near Asheville in summer?

By Andy Sweet
Jul 1, 2014

Hey any NCers, is there any sport areas nearby that are climbable in the summer? I am on family vaca in Asheville for the week and didn't have room for a pad, so just brought sport gear. I know Rumbling bald has some lines, but is supposed to be brutal in the summer... Would appreciate any beta!

By Chris Massey
Jul 1, 2014

As a general rule sport and NC dont really go together, especially in the Asheville area. Some awesome climbing up that way at Looking Glass, Laurel Knob, Cedar, Whitesides, Big Green, and others, but sport is definately lacking. Yes, a few sport lines at RB, but not a summer destination. To be honest, most of what folks call sport lines there are "sporty" at best, and some gear is nice. Stone Depot has some multipitch easy sport lines, but they tend to be pretty monotonous. Longish approach, but North By Northwest does offer some nice views of LG, but that might only make you wish you were climbing there instead. If you have time a make a trip to the Boone area you will find more sport route there, but I still would not call any of those crags (Dump, Little Wilson, etc) destinations. If you are only in town for the week either try to hook up with a local with a rack and knowledge of the area, or take the day and go climb a couple of the sport routes at Stone Depot on your own. Check out this guide book: cedarrockguide.com.

By Brian Payst
Jul 1, 2014
grayson highlands

Like Chris said, we don't have tons of sport climbing. The Dump is a decent choice with a day's worth of routes, Stone Depot would also be good, and Middle Hawksbill in Linville Gorge also has a number of sport routes and is north facing and a good summer destination: MP Middle Hawksbill

By Andy Sweet
Jul 1, 2014

Thanks guys! Stone Depot or Hawksbill both look like decent options. Definitely just need to bring the rack next time!

By Darrin Stein
From Laurens, SC
Jul 6, 2014

I am looking to climb again. Want to see if it is something I am still into and could use a partner. Send me a note.

By 5.samadhi
Jul 6, 2014
me

There's a sport climbing crag that would be decent in the summer right outside of Brevard I forget the name right now though.

By photocodo
From Hendersonville, NC
Jul 6, 2014
The "crack"

Cathys Creek.
mountainproject.com/v/catheys-creek-crag/107634087

By Rick Carpenter
From Banner Elk, NC
Jul 8, 2014
Dey Took Yer Jeb!!!

check the site.....damn

By The Flying Dutchman
Jul 17, 2014

Since there is already a convo going about the area I am looking for a guide book to borrow for Linville, specifically Table Mountain. Taking the girl for some introduction to multi pitch and have never been there before. I am driving up from GA so if your any where along the way please let me know if you have a book I can rent. Or, if you are headed to the Gorge on the last week of July maybe we can hook up and climb together.

Thanks

Mike

Barthenm86@gmail.com

By Brian Payst
Jul 18, 2014
grayson highlands

The selected climbs in NC covers Table Rock, as does Mountain Project. You should be able to find a copy of the Selected Climbs in NC guide at an outdoor retailer like REI, Rock Creek, etc. or on-line.