Anaerobic heart strain on brand new stents

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 2, 2012
Stabby

So if a guy has a freshly re-plumbed LAD (stents), and the arterial problems that caused that; what are the odds of creating more problems with the anaerobic stresses we put ourselves through when pulling a hard move?
Any tips out there? Personal anecdotes?
Thanks!

By wivanoff
Dec 2, 2012
High Exposure

Having had a Left Anterior Descending stent put in just two weeks ago, I'd be interested in hearing also.

I'm waiting for Doc's clearance (for climbing) but I've started my noon 2 mile walk/jog again just 8 days after surgery. Thing that I'm anxious about is leading (well, actually falling) when on heavy duty anti-coagulants :(

By gary ohm
From Paso Robles
Dec 2, 2012

This is one of those times where it would be ideal to have a doctor who is also a climber. Or at least an outdoorsy person.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Dec 2, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Talk to your doc. That said if be incredibly cautious if you're on any blood thinners after the surgery.

Haha yes falling on anticoagulants would be well bad. Hope you guys get out there soon!

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 3, 2012
Stabby

One does not have a heart procedure like this w/out talking to your doctors, a lot. My dilemma here is trying to explain the anaerobic nature of -in my case- sport climbing. They do tell you they want you back out returning to your activities since part of the endless dialog you have with dozens of inquisitors involves telling them you are athletic and engage in a strenuous sport. My conversation with 1 of 2 cardiologists I have on Saturday was set around telling me no more "100% exertions"; which sounds like grade-pushing projecting.

Anyway, here's a related thread I ironically participated in:

CT heart scan thread

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Dec 4, 2012

Part of the initial answer will come from whether or not you had an MI with the event that led to your stents. If you did, you have myocardial tissue that needs to heal so as not be prone to arrhythmias (abnormal rhythms) that could be triggered by high effort peaks and could result in sudden death. The insides of the stents need to reepithelialize (new cells to coat the inside of the metal stents) so as to allow for smooth blood flow without creating new tiny blood clots on the inside of your stents. The stents themselves should not be a problem with regard to anaerobic stress; however, ordinarily folks are on blood thinners in time needed to wait for this to occur. Certainly the issues of being on blood thinners would affect the wisdom of taking any type of falls, perhaps save the basic TR fall. Head injuries would be the top on the list for worry as far as that goes, but chest, abdominal, and pelvic trauma (maybe how we lost Jack) are also concerns. Also, note there are multiple types of blood thinners used these days.

By rob.calm
From Loveland, Colorado
Dec 4, 2012
Mother #1 on the Nautilus at Vedauwoo. Rob is calm on this happy offwidth

15 years ago I had my aortic valve replaced. Before such an event, a thorough examination is given to see if there is need for a pacemaker or bypass surgery. I didnít need either of those, but I was impressed by the cardiologist who said if I bouldered he would recommend one kind of pacemaker and a different kind if I was an alpinist. He retired a few years and passed last spring so I canít refer you to him.

I was given the choice between a plastic valve and a bio-prosthetic valve. The three cardiologists who examined me all recommended the bio-valve since I wouldnít need to be on blood thinners, and that if I were on blood thinners they would hesitate to recommend my hiking let alone climbing. You know, far away from the hospital when you trip and bang your knee sort of thing. There are some new blood thinners out there that are easier to use than Coumadin, but it seems they have one big disadvantage, viz., they canít be turned off if you start bleeding. Something to consider for a person with an active life style.

Maybe the way to explain to the cardiologist what you do while climbing is to point out its anaerobic similarity to weight lifting, e.g., doing 20 heavy squats, power cleans or presses.

Hang in there and good wishes for a strong recovery.

Rob.calm