Alternatives for plastic holds on woodys for DT'ing?

By J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Jan 26, 2012
Me too!

Has anyone here found a viable alternative for homemade dry-tooling holds? Plastic is expensive and gets beat to crap with ice tool picks. I've tried pieces of wood w/o much luck (they split/break).

I've thought about gluing rocks up, but that seems a bit difficult. Just trying to figure something out and wanted ask what others have found.

Thanks!

By cms829
Jan 26, 2012
high e

why not buy a piece of trex (the composite deck material) and cut it to the shapes and sizes you want. it accepts screws well and should wear well. I have never personally used it yet but its the first thing that came to mind, and I am in the construction industry. I am a mason. Your not really going to find an adhesive strong enough to adhere actual stone, but some granite could possibly be drilled and bolted. WOuldnt be cheap though. I say grab a piece of trex and try it out. Cheap alternative.

By Nrmill261
Jan 26, 2012

Why not drill a hole in the rock that will take a bolt,and put some sort of soft caulk on the back so it doesn't destroy your wall. Rocks are free if you can find them :)

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Feb 3, 2012
OMG, I winz!!!

What kind of holds are you after? I've got chain links hanging in the roof for DTing but I'm just starting to play with how to setup the non-horizontal terrain. Some companies make DT specific plastic, maybe it lasts longer?

I need to go out and find some 1/8" rubber mat or something to go between the holds and the plywood. Over the long term I don't want to wear it out.

By Rob P.
From Bay Area
Feb 3, 2012

Hockey pucks work really well. Cut them in half and drill a bolt hole through it and mount on a small wood block. The slight squish they have lets the tool sink into it a bit and feels really positive, even on steeper 30-45 degree walls.

By Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Feb 3, 2012
Moby dick 5.11-

Rob P. wrote:

As a Canadian I agree. That's what my buddy has on his woody here and it sure beats those crappy ice holdz.

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 3, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Rob P. wrote:

This sounds cool,,,,worth the try at least. Sure is a solid, durable rubber compound.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Feb 3, 2012
Colonel Mustard

I thought this thread would be about detoxing. Carry on.

By darin
Feb 3, 2012

Don't be too quick to rule out wood holds. Ive got plenty on my woody that have lasted for a couple years. I picked up some scrap pieces of oak hardwood flooring from construction dumpster for free. Cut to any angle, drill, sand off the corners, bolt, and done.

If you're looking to protect the paneling, try some outdoor carpeting. The rubber backing is thin enough to keep the holds from spinning, while still protecting the wall. Oh, and its cheap!

wood hold
wood hold

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Feb 3, 2012
OMG, I winz!!!

The carpeting is a good idea