Alternative to 'Ice Conditions' Threads

By Max Tepfer
From Bend, OR
Dec 16, 2010

Instead of the annual Cody/Colorado/fill in the blank ice conditions threads, what do folks think of the idea of putting an additional comments section on ice routes in the database that would get wiped every summer. This way you don't have to trawl through pages of out of date conditions posts to find any information on the area you're looking at. Instead, you just go to the route (or maybe area) you're interested in climbing and see what folks have posted. The biggest potential con I see is that this would make it slightly more complicated to post information. This could possibly discourage people from posting.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Dec 16, 2010
OMG, I winz!!!

to be honest i like the CO thread how it is

By David Sweet
From Moscow, ID
Dec 16, 2010

Me too.

By Kevin Craig
Dec 16, 2010
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

Me three (obviously since I started the thread;^). But seriously, there is already a function in the DB that wipes conditions reports after 3or 6 months and people still aren't using the route comments. The Forum thread also makes it easy to browse a bunch of climbs/areas pretty quickly and allows photos/conditions for climbs that aren't in the database. Checking every single individual route page to decide where to go is tedious at best. The thread is better.

By timt
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Dec 16, 2010
on lead, Mean Green Cody,WY

The only change i wouldn't mind seeing is making it a category on the right side of the screen, like the "recent conditions" link, only making a specific "ice conditions" link. would help all those lazy folks like me who are too lame to search for the thread when nobody has posted in a while.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Dec 17, 2010

One thing that is lost when wiping out old condition reports is the ability to guesstimate if a climb might or might not be in for later years.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Dec 18, 2010
Bocan

Kevin Craig wrote:

Shhhhhhhhh...that's the place you can find secret ice beta!!