Adjustable daisy in place of fifi?

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Mar 6, 2013
RJN
Just getting back into aid climbing and one of my problems is high stepping enough to fifi into my piece. Anyone use an adjustable daisy in place of regular daisy and fifi hook? I think the benefit would be not having to high step right away to hook in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

By Colin Simon
From Boulder, CO
Mar 6, 2013
Just below Thunderbolt Peak

Adjustable daisies are awesome, and for the purpose of fast aid climbing they make fifis obsolete.

They do wear out faster and cost more. You can replace the webbing on the Metolius ones, which are probably the best anyway.

By Ed Wright
Mar 6, 2013
Magic Ed
You can also get an adjustable fifi hook.

By randy88fj62
Mar 6, 2013
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
I use adjustable daises and they are great, especially for overhangs.

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Mar 6, 2013
Viking helmet cover, yep.
When you guys are using an adjustable daisy do you just have a biner on the end? Do you have something else for when you just want to hook in real quick at waist level or for top-stepping, or do you just adjust your daisy every time? I'm trying to envision how this works.

By Steve86
Mar 6, 2013
Adjustable daisies are awesome. I use the Yates variety, they are pretty beefy compared to the competition and you can release the buckle under a load. I use a biner on the end of each one that also has my aider attached. I was shocked how much more efficient I was when I switched from the traditional fifi/pocketed daisy setup.

By Dom Ngo
From West Kootenays
Mar 6, 2013
Adjustable daisys are the tits for steep/overhanging terrain - definitely less strain. Top steppin hasn't really been an issue. Usually when using two Adj.daisies I haven't bothered with having a hook. Although a friend sometime climbs with a fifi to hook in short, while keeping the daisies fully extended for later. Biner on the end for sure, a smaller one will help close in the distance to the piece. Keeping the girth hitch as short as possible helps too.