Add an "Action" or "Stewardship" forum?

By Orphaned
Feb 13, 2011
What are the chances of adding a forum to:

1) Announce volunteer opportunities in climbing areas
2) Discuss closures/acquisitions/legal status of public lands with climbing areas
3) I don't have a 3), but I'm sure there is one.

By Walt Barker
From Reno NV
Feb 13, 2011
Self portrait on the summit of Gray's Peak, CO
Excellent suggestion, I support this.

By TFlo
Feb 13, 2011
Trad climbing on Argo Tower
#3 should be for self policing. To me this would fall under stewardship. For example, if people are drilling, bolting, pad stashing etc in areas that have tenuous access or strict rules prohibiting such things they could be posted here.

By Brian in SLC
Feb 13, 2011
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Since there are over 30 separate forums now, and, regional forums could handle specific action and/or stewardship topics well, I think another forum isn't needed.

By grk10vq
Feb 13, 2011
. . .
mike-

each closure, status, etc; can be commented on and discussed.

but i hear the sport climbing forum is top shelf!!

By Monomaniac
From Morrison, CO
Feb 13, 2011
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.
Nice subliminal message. I concur.

By Jay Knower
From Campton, NH
Feb 13, 2011
Technosurfing, Rumney. Photo by Seth Hamel.
grk10vq wrote:
mike- the opening page of each state has a section similar to what you're referring to called News and Events for "Your State Here". i know utah currently has announcements about the closure/status of falcon's landing, an slca fundraiser, and a volunteer opportunity/stewardship under this same place. each closure, status, etc; can be commented on and discussed. you can email your state admin to add a topic and certain news can be added on your own. i would start there or just post it under your state's forum. for what its worth, i'm usually on a 14" lap top. i've only ever seen 14 of the 30 current forums, but i hear the sport climbing forum is top shelf!!

This gets my vote as the best post EVER on MP.

By Buff Johnson
Feb 13, 2011
smiley face
Speaking of closures, I heard boulder cty has armed their nesting falcons with tattoo guns that paste climbers' skin with little red and blue elephants

By Wayne
From Superior, CO
Feb 13, 2011
The state/area pages are good for reference information, like closures, for when someone looks. There is a Colorado
and an Eldo page that info could go on.

But for announcements, I would say use the forums, even if it is just to announce that the area page is updated with new closure or stewardship information. There is a regional forum for Rocky MT that would work - which in fact now has a Shelf road chiseler thread that was #3 in the above list.

I say this because I haven't looked at the main Colorado or Eldo page in ages, although I've looked at route info inside of them.