Accident on phantom spires yesterday

By Jim gaffney
Oct 18, 2013

we were climbing on middle spire today and my partner took a lead fall which dislocated his ankle. I lowered him and popped his ankle back in (!) before going to the hospital but we left alot of gear on the route (over easy & the 10c variation of the prow). If your climbing over there this weekend and would like to return our gear I would be extremely gratefull. We are heading back tomorrow (saturday) to retrieve it ourselves but if you get there first and decide to keep it, fair play and enjoy your bad karma.

Cheers, jim

By M.Morley
From Sacramento, CA
Oct 18, 2013
8-21-09

Jim- I may well be up there tomorrow. If your gear is still there, I will pick it up for you. Hope your buddy is ok.

By Yonkonian
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 18, 2013
Me

Sounds like your buddy is ok which is great. But calling bootying gear "bad karma" is a crock of shit.

By redlude97
Oct 18, 2013

Yonkonian wrote:

Bootying left gear when someone gets hurt IS bad karma.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Oct 18, 2013
Bucky

Yonkonian wrote:

Tool.

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Oct 18, 2013
Meme guy

redlude97 wrote:
Bootying left gear when someone gets hurt IS bad karma.

Damn straight it is, and poor taste.

By Jim gaffney
Oct 19, 2013

Hey Morley, thanks for the reply. I'm going to head up with my wife in the morning, in the hopes of getting the gear. Perhaps I'll see you there.

My friend is alright, will be in a cast for 6 weeks, out in time for the ski season to start which is something.

As far as karma is concerned, we all make our own decisions I suppose. Hopefully I won't have to race too many vultures tomorrow!

By Tom-onator
From This Galaxy
Oct 19, 2013
Tom-onator

If someone here read about the gear being left and raced up there to retrieve it as bOOty, they are total f-tards and deserve a karmic beating.

If climbers that do not participate on this site happen along gear left for no apparent reason, and decide to take It, I would say that is ok and would wish no ill upon them.

By Jim gaffney
Oct 19, 2013

No, sure, I don't wish ill on people that booty gear. In this case it was pretty clear we had an accident, and we met some very nice guys at the crag today who realized this and cleaned our gear, coming back the next day the hopes to give it back to us. BIG thanks to the four who returned our gear. It means a lot to my mate to to us as well!

By Ryan Nevius